Restart with add-ons enabled or better

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
LoveNewBrowser

Restart with add-ons enabled or better

Unread post by LoveNewBrowser » 2017-12-20, 12:32

Hi!
I did see this post
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11738
but wonder if a year and a half later anything changed? The use case is that once in a while an add-on breaks a not that well coded page (or the add-on is not that well coded, your choice). With multiple tabs open the nice thing of the restart with add-ons disabled is that all tabs are retained. But when I want to go back and have add-ons enabled I need to bookmark all remaining tabs, close PM, start PM, reopen all tabs from bookmark, and delete the bookmark folder.

Now to the "or better" part. Is there any way to disable add-ons that impact page content for a tab rather than all of PM? That would satisfy my use case even better, but likely complicate things a lot.

Alternatively, how about adding sub-commands to the "Move to new Window" that allows for opening a new window with or without add-ons enabled?

I agree that this is not a pressing need, there are workarounds that work fine if I can overcome my chronic laziness. Nevertheless, each time this comes up it annoys the heck out of me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Restart with add-ons enabled or better

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-20, 14:28

LoveNewBrowser wrote:But when I want to go back and have add-ons enabled I need to bookmark all remaining tabs, close PM, start PM, reopen all tabs from bookmark, and delete the bookmark folder.
No, you can use about:sessionrestore in Safe Mode to restore your session - and it will be retained when you restart next time.
LoveNewBrowser wrote:Now to the "or better" part. Is there any way to disable add-ons that impact page content for a tab rather than all of PM? That would satisfy my use case even better, but likely complicate things a lot.

Alternatively, how about adding sub-commands to the "Move to new Window" that allows for opening a new window with or without add-ons enabled?
Not possible. Extensions are extensions to the browser, not to pages.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LoveNewBrowser

Unread post by LoveNewBrowser » 2017-12-23, 20:00

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

First item - did not know that, thanks for the tip!

Second item - how about a new window rather than a tab? Is it possible to run multiple instances of PM of which some have add-ons enabled and other do not? That way I could move misbehaving tab to a new window (instance) where add-ons are disabled.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-23, 23:07

A new window is not a new instance. It is a new window in the same instance of the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite