File associations management

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
tired_eyes

File associations management

Unread post by tired_eyes » 2017-12-09, 17:26

Hi

Currently we have section is Settings -> Applications to handle file assotiations. The problem is that from this section one isn't able to add new assoctiations explicitly, we can only change existing ones. To actually add a new entry to this list we should first download a file of corresponding type and check "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" checkbox. It would be nice to be able to add (and delete!) entries in this settings table explicitly.

Swicher
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: File associations management

Unread post by Swicher » 2018-03-11, 15:28

tired_eyes wrote:It would be nice to be able to add (and delete!) entries in this settings table explicitly.
Investigating on MimeTypes.rdf (where the file associations are saved) I discovered that there is an extension called MIME Edit that allows to do this (I've been testing it and seems to work well in Pale Moon). Perhaps the New Type, Edit, Remove buttons and the edit dialog box could be integrated into the applications tab in a similar way to Classic Password Editor with the saved passwords dialog box.
Last edited by Swicher on 2018-03-11, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: File associations management

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-03-12, 08:40

Thanks for posting about this extension. I once had a problem in Cyberfox (RIP) where I'd clicked on the wrong box and the auto box was already ticked, then the file type wasn't in Applications. Very annoying, being stuck with the action.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.