ImgLikeOpera extension Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dufflecoatphilosophr

ImgLikeOpera extension

Unread post by dufflecoatphilosophr » 2017-10-25, 08:41

I have just moved to PaleMoon because I was getting fed up with Firefox effectively disabling plugins which was my whole reason for using Firefox in the first place. Specifically: NoScript and ImgLikeOpera which make life on the narrowest of rural broadbands possible. Nice to see that NoScript has been ported to PaleMoon but disappointed that ImgLikeOpera has not. Maybe the author has just abandoned it but I was disgusted by the answer to and closure of https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15153&hilit=imglikeopera .

The purpose of a browser is to allow me to browse and I should be able to pick and choose what data I pull down the line. I understand that content providers do not want me to do that but who is PaleMoon for? Is it a tool for me the browser or is it answerable to the content providers? Nobody is suggesting that images be disabled by default but allowing user choice is the difference between Firefox/Palemoon and all the rest.

I prefer Palemoon to Firefox in their current states but it looks like I may have to revert to an old copy of Firefox 45.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: ImgLikeOpera extension

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-27, 01:16

You have user choice. You can choose to use the browser or not. You can choose to adapt the extension to be Pale Moon compatible or not.
The only thing you cannot choose is what I decide should be part of the core feature set of Pale Moon -- but even then you have the choice to fork the browser and do it yourself, as well.

The whole complaining and "If you don't make this part of the browser I'll go use browser X" attitude really doesn't motivate anyone to even look at what you are apparently requesting. Use whatever works best for you but don't expect such a flighty revival of a locked thread to have much result here.

Also: the purpose of a browser is to download and display web content in the way it was designed by the content creators (or as close to that as feasible).
Selectively blocking parts of that is not a core feature of a web browser. But we have extensions that allow you to do this anyway. Use them! If it's not compatible with Pale Moon: update it/fork it! If none suit your needs: make one yourself!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite