Disable autoplay of media

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
KNTRO

Disable autoplay of media

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-10-05, 21:42

Hi all,

Have anyone faced issues if these settings are set as follow?

media.autoplay.enabled set to false
media.block-play-until-visible set to true

This is supposed to stop/disable automatic playback of media —audio & video— not just in background tabs but also in any tab.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Disable autoplay of media

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-05, 22:16

I did it once and not only did it stop auto play of the video's but also, on Youtube
I ended up having to click the play button twice every time because it would stop the play back.

I ended up putting it back to normal. ;)

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2017-10-06, 09:51

To stop youtube from automatically playing videos I had to set not only media.autoplay.enabled to false, but also media.autoplay.allowscripted. I found a bug report page on Mozilla’s bugzilla were a developer changed the code so that media.autoplay.enabled wouldn’t work correctly on youtube, on purpose.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-10-06, 10:20

tooshorttoolong wrote:To stop youtube from automatically playing videos I had to set not only media.autoplay.enabled to false, but also media.autoplay.allowscripted. I found a bug report page on Mozilla’s bugzilla were a developer changed the code so that media.autoplay.enabled wouldn’t work correctly on youtube, on purpose.
I'd appreciate to know that bug number.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2017-10-06, 11:41

snertev wrote:I'd appreciate to know that bug number.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 277813#c15

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-10-07, 06:42

There was Flash Stopper on PM addons site. Now it's not there. Why?
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-10-08, 15:46

tooshorttoolong wrote:
snertev wrote:I'd appreciate to know that bug number.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 277813#c15
Thanks!

Indeed, I agree with this user:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 277813#c26

When I set an autoplay option to false, I don't mean it to be true like FF devs believes.

It's just an absurd claim. :thumbdown:

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-10-09, 14:52

Thanks all for your comments.

What I have noted when opening a YouTube video in the background —with those settings set— is that the video won't start playing automatically 'til I go to that tab, no matter how much time I spend on other tabs.

So, perhaps it's ain't a good idea to disable this autoplay stuff by default after all. Especially because of those spots on Earth where Internet accesses aren't so fast and people use to play, pause and buffer a video in a tab, while watching another video previously loaded in another tab. So, if autoplay is disabled, they won't be able to easily buffer videos. :crazy:

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-09, 16:34

KNTRO wrote:So, if autoplay is disabled, they won't be able to easily buffer videos. :crazy:
Would they like to hear sound from three different tabs? ;)
If autoplay is enabled, they need to go to each tab and pause the video (buffering will continue). OTOH, if autoplay is disabled, they might have to go to each tab to start and then pause the playback for buffering to start. In any case, an additional manual effort is needed.