Add color management support for JPEG XRs and WebPs without ICC profiles

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
spaceiscold

Add color management support for JPEG XRs and WebPs without ICC profiles

Unread post by spaceiscold » 2017-09-03, 14:49

As of current, JPEG XRs and WebPs without embedded ICC profiles aren't automatically color-managed, even if gfx.color_management.mode is set to 1 (which enables color management for all rendered graphics) in the about:config. So would it be possible to add in support for color managing JPEG XRs and WebPs without embedded ICC profiles?

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Add color management support for JPEG XRs and WebPs without ICC profiles

Unread post by mr tribute » 2017-09-03, 16:56

Why would you want this? What are you trying to achieve? What platform are you on?

I will just repeat what I stated in another thread. Color management is for professionals. It's for people who calibrate their monitors themselves.

A color profile is only accurate if:

1. You use your monitor's factory settings or the settings used when making the color profile.

2. You use same graphics card and driver used when making the color profile. In my experience AMD gives a warmer picture than Nvidia. You also need same driver settings.

3. You use a program that is aware of color profiles.

Those points above are for general purpose profiles.

For images with embedded profiles you need specialized graphics software. Remember Pale Moon is a browser. It's not a media player, e-book reader or software platform. It can do those things, but most of all it's a browser.

I'm not saying your suggestion is bad. I wonder why this is important? You can download pictures and use you favorite color managed program to take a closer look at them.