Consider setting up a Hatreon.us account Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Jaromor

Consider setting up a Hatreon.us account

Unread post by Jaromor » 2017-08-11, 06:54

If PaleMoon.org becomes my browser of choice I am willing to support it via Hatreon.us. Maybe there is more of us, so maybe it would be worth setting up such account.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Consider setting up a Hatreon.us account

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-11, 08:10

Nope, I'm not touching that after reading their terms.
You can donate through existing channels if you want to support us.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Khatharr

Unread post by Khatharr » 2017-08-12, 21:52

Not suggesting that you should go with them (I wouldn't) but what was it about the ToS that bothered you?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-13, 07:55

Khatharr wrote:Not suggesting that you should go with them (I wouldn't) but what was it about the ToS that bothered you?
Just the general impression of way too many cover-your-ass clauses and not enough substance to actually protect creators.
In addition, the only reason it exists seems to be because "they hate Patreon's service policies", which IMO isn't really a good premise to run a service if you want people to consider long-term commitment.
Thirdly, I don't see any business information clearly indicated on their site. their "About" link is not telling me anything, and their "contact" link is just a mailto. It's not possible to tell who operates it, and it may as well be a scam at that point.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-01, 12:34

Moonchild wrote:
Khatharr wrote:Not suggesting that you should go with them (I wouldn't) but what was it about the ToS that bothered you?
Just the general impression of way too many cover-your-ass clauses and not enough substance to actually protect creators.
In addition, the only reason it exists seems to be because "they hate Patreon's service policies", which IMO isn't really a good premise to run a service if you want people to consider long-term commitment.
Thirdly, I don't see any business information clearly indicated on their site. their "About" link is not telling me anything, and their "contact" link is just a mailto. It's not possible to tell who operates it, and it may as well be a scam at that point.
I think this is a healthy distrust, and I applaud that.

Today the internet is part of a planetwide lifestyle, but back in the nineties, especially the early years, relatively few people were familiar with it, and it was being hyped with expressions like "surfing the net" to get everyone to buy a computer and become an internet user. One would be very naive to think that the internet is there for your "surfing" pleasure.