Copy and Search for selection

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
PasserBy

Copy and Search for selection

Unread post by PasserBy » 2017-08-01, 04:46

If possible, can we have opera-like pop-up with Copy and Search(in new tab) buttons when selecting any text? Though I'd personally prefer those buttons under the text unless it's bottom of the page and they won't fit.
It's faster than context menus or shortcuts. Right now Opera devs adding distance/currency/other values convertor to that pop-up, but I don't think that's really necessary, just copy and search would be great.
Maybe there is extension for that somewhere(hadn't seen it), but it's something good to have built-in. Like I wish was Locationbar3/Location Bar Enhancer, but that's different story for different thread... :coffee:
Thanks! :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Copy and Search for selection

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-03, 08:34

We already have this in the context menu (right-click):
Image1.png
I don't see how a pop-up is going to be faster, and it would potentially interfere with selecting text too if it pops up the moment you select.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PasserBy

Re: Copy and Search for selection

Unread post by PasserBy » 2017-08-04, 03:46

It doesn't appears exactly while holding left mouse button, but on button release, so no, it doesn't interfere selection. In Opera there's this simple Copy and Search options in pop-up and in rmb menu there's search sub-menu with all available search engines. So in practice it saves 1 click and amount of time you searching through context menu(still they have duplicates of Copy and Search in context menu). I'm all for those small smart practices saving a bit of time here and there resulting in overall improvement. For example in very same Opera selecting link with left-to-right/right-to-left motion selects it as text up-down/down-up motion drags it whole. That's also good time-saving practice.
But back to pop-up - I'd went further, removed from context menu Copy and Search completely or left sub-menu Search with... and separate Copy into 2 options Copy as plain text and Copy links only of they present in selection. Here's the mock-up from your screenshot how I imagine this:
Pop-up buttons for most common 2 actions and context menu for when those aren't enough, that's the logic behind this suggestion.
I do understand that it kinda breaks the habit, but it's easy to get used to this behavior and makes things faster.