about:config pref for webp Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
zerogravity

about:config pref for webp

Unread post by zerogravity » 2017-07-25, 03:25

It would be appreciated if, analogous to "media.webm.enabled", there were a "image.webp.enabled" pref so that webp decoding could be turned off.
I think you would only need to add

Code: Select all

DECL_GFX_PREF(Live, "image.webp.enabled",                    ImageWebPEnabled, bool, true);
to /gfx/thebes/gfxPrefs.h and change /image/src/Image.cpp in ln 65
from

// WEBP
	  else if (!strcmp(aMimeType, IMAGE_WEBP))
	    rv = eDecoderType_webp;
to

// WEBP
	  else if (!strcmp(aMimeType, IMAGE_WEBP) && gfxPrefs::ImageWebPEnabled())
	    rv = eDecoderType_webp;
Maybe a pref for br decoding as well?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: about:config pref for webp

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-25, 13:57

Is there a particular reason why you want to completely disable WebP support?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

zerogravity

Unread post by zerogravity » 2017-07-25, 15:13

1. Increased attack surface. It's new, in flux, tries to support everything and is used by the majority.

2. Windows 7 photo viewer does not support it, which is already annoying for gifs.

3. I don't want google dictating my usage - my browser, my way.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-07-27, 21:13

Why not use uMatrix addon? You can control media elements with it

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-27, 21:39

zerogravity wrote:1. Increased attack surface. It's new, in flux, tries to support everything and is used by the majority.
2. Windows 7 photo viewer does not support it, which is already annoying for gifs.
3. I don't want google dictating my usage - my browser, my way.
1. WebP has been around for years. And the codec is even older since it's VP8 which has seen plenty of people hacking at it.
2. Windows 7 photo viewer isn't something I'd use as a criterion, ever
3. Being able to decode an image format using an open lib isn't Google dictating anything. it's Pale Moon offering broader support for file formats. In that case we should also add prefs for bmp which is Microsoft. GIF for being Compuserve, MP3 for Fraunhofer, OGG because the format sucks, etc. Making a pref for everything is madness, and our tree already has too many that nobody ever touches.

So, I guess you don't want it because you don't want to use anything that has at one point in time been sourced by Google. You'd better stop using Pale Moon, Firefox, or any other browser out there (since half the web standards out there are written by Google people too, and http/2 is pretty much Google's SPDY, to name a thing)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-23, 12:27

Moonchild wrote:
So, I guess you don't want it because you don't want to use anything that has at one point in time been sourced by Google. You'd better stop using Pale Moon, Firefox, or any other browser out there (since half the web standards out there are written by Google people too, and http/2 is pretty much Google's SPDY, to name a thing)
I didn't know Google had a hand in that much web - to the point of regulating web standards.

There were organizations around taking care of that long before there was Google, e.g. W3 Consortium.

What's up with Google doing their job? Google is just a private company. It is not hard to understand they will try to change everything to their own convenience.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-23, 12:47

The W3C is a lap dog of Google and large media conglomerates at this point. Their "standards" are written by them, and which standards become actual recommendations is determined only by voting of their paying members. Guess who are paying members?