Remove status bar, show where links go.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
UserPATRICKJANE

Remove status bar, show where links go.

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-07-12, 14:37

In Firefox the full status bar was removed quite a while back, it was instead replaced, as no doubt you are aware, with a small pop-up status bar (bottom left) showing what is loading/happening (waiting for google.com... transferring data from... etc), similarly it pops-up when you hover over links. The old full length, always-there, status bar in Palemoon is bad because it takes up vertical screen space. Is there a possibility of the modern pop-up status as in FF, bottom left corner, for PM?

GMforker

Re: Remove status bar, show where links go.

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-07-12, 14:54

UserPATRICKJANE wrote:The old full length, always-there, status bar in Palemoon is bad because it takes up vertical screen space.
I have a completely different view.

But if it were optional...

UserPATRICKJANE

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-07-12, 15:01

GMforker wrote:I have a completely different view.

But if it were optional...
What is your viewpoint, why do you like the old status bar? Yes optional would be best, variety is the spice of life :)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-12, 15:05

UserPATRICKJANE wrote:Is there a possibility of the modern pop-up status as in FF, bottom left corner, for PM?
Tools -> Status bar options -> [Status] -> [General] -> "Show status in" >Pop-up & "Show links in" >Pop-up.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-07-12, 15:22

JustOff wrote:
UserPATRICKJANE wrote:Is there a possibility of the modern pop-up status as in FF, bottom left corner, for PM?
Tools -> Status bar options -> [Status] -> [General] -> "Show status in" >Pop-up & "Show links in" >Pop-up.
:) I haven't used it for a long time...

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-12, 16:11

I, too, appreciate the traditional, stable Status Bar - Having it there stable underscores the importance (in my view) of the link information it displays (not to mention the buttons etc it can hold XD).
One of my earliest reasons for looking to replace FF was that they removed the Status Bar.

You might already know this, but just in case not....
You can toggle the Status Bar on/off with the keyboard command Ctrl+/
Or in the alternative, R-click on any toolbar and untick 'Status Bar' from the list that pops up.

That, combined with the pop-up setting explained above by JustOff, will give you exactly what you've shown in your screenshot.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2017-07-12, 16:39

Before going to palemoon, one of the few extensions I loaded in firefox (possibly even the first extension I encountered) was just the one to give back the status bar, which for me is a must.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

UserPATRICKJANE

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2017-07-12, 16:43

JustOff wrote: Tools -> Status bar options -> [Status] -> [General] -> "Show status in" >Pop-up & "Show links in" >Pop-up.
Ah, bliss! :D Thanks for that, perfect; I am still obviously finding my way around.