Add options for advanced MIME types editing Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
aegis

Add options for advanced MIME types editing

Unread post by aegis » 2017-06-02, 09:07

Hi,
I would like to have an option, in the application section of the preferences menu, for an advanced MIME types editing, that permits to manually add/remove mimetypes, set the actions and the default applications.

You could see some example in the old version of Seamonkey: http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types_an ... Monkey_1.x

There is also a (very) old extension for firefox, no more avable from official channels: http://www.ffextensions.com/addon/MIME+Edit/2155.html
but you can't select the default application, and it's a really buggy extension.

I found difficult to edit manually the mimeTypes.rdf file propely.

I also have an issue whit torrent files that make the text editor the default program for open them, so when I open a torrent file from the download button menu, it will be opened ever with the text editor instead the program I choose. So having an option thac can also manage the default application in Pale Moon could be useful to resolve quickly issues similar to this one.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Add options for advanced MIME types editing

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-09, 14:15

This kind of functionality really does belong in an extension, not in the core.
Perhaps someone can revive the old extension for Firefox in a Pale Moon compatible way.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite