QUIC support Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Peregrine

QUIC support

Unread post by Peregrine » 2017-05-20, 16:46

I've recently read about the new protocols Google's been working on (SPDY, HTTP/2, QUIC).
HTTP/2 seems to have been implemented since Pale Moon 27 (see wikipedia ) -just mentioning this because old posts such as viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7439 initially led me astray-
SPDY has been made obsolete since the introduction of HTTP/2 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDY) so is no longer relevant.
QUIC though (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QUIC is, as far as I can tell, not yet supported in pale moon.
Perhaps it could be supported (if not now, then when it's completely finished). It seems to have quite a lot of benefits over tcp (faster, more secure).

Besides implementing support in the pale moon browser, I'm also wondering whether additional gentoo packages would need to be downloaded/installed to be able to use it everywhere (quic, like tcp and udp is used in much more programs than just the browser, so perhaps a separate package needs to be downloaded too, or does each individual program just need to be given quic support, but no separate package needs to be installed for it ? )

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: QUIC support

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-20, 17:09

I'm sorry but Google-specific and experimental transport protocols are not in any way attractive for us to implement. SPDY was present because HTTP/2 was not yet standardized at the time. QUIC doesn't seem to provide anything useful on top of HTTP/2, and adoption is (predictably) limited to Google servers and clients (Chrome).

(P.S.: HTTP/2 is not a protocol Google was working on. it is a standardization of what ended up being based on SPDY (with some controversy about the decision-making process there too) but has very little to do with Google.)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite