Open "Add-ons Manager" and "Permissions Manager" in new window

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Open "Add-ons Manager" and "Permissions Manager" in new window

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-04, 00:26

I like the recent addition of the "Permissions" menu item, which opens the Permissions Manager in a new tab. However, I prefer these type of config/manager things to open in a separate window/dialog.

How difficult would it be to make the "Add-ons Manager" and "Permissions Manager" open in new windows instead of tabs? Ideally there would be a preference to control it, as I imagine not everyone would want them in a new window.

I currently am using an add-on which is a modification of the Classicish Add-on Manager, utilizing it's ability to open the manager in a new window. I am thinking of modifying it further to also handle the Permissions Manager. However, if I can have this behaviour as part of the browser itself, it would be much nicer (my understanding is that the add-on uses some hacks to allow it to work).
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Open "Add-ons Manager" and "Permissions Manager" in new window

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-05-04, 07:03

Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-04, 20:04

_yuyu_ wrote:More In Content UI + can make it.
They want less in-content, not more... ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-05-04, 20:16

Moonchild wrote:They want less in-content, not more... ;)
Hard to beleive but it can do less too))

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-05-04, 21:23

Javascript control in the permissions window would be nice.Saves using an extension or digging around pale moon commander.
Just a friendly suggestion. :)
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-04, 23:33

Moonraker wrote:Javascript control in the permissions window would be nice.Saves using an extension or digging around pale moon commander.
Just a friendly suggestion. :)
I think that's a bit off-topic. I suggest you create a new topic for that.
_yuyu_ wrote:
Moonchild wrote:They want less in-content, not more... ;)
Hard to believe but it can do less too))
I tried that add-on, but it did not allow me to open existing in-content pages as new windows. It seems to be designed specifically for making windows open as tabs and not the other way around.

@Moonchild: How difficult would it be to implement this feature? I could do it myself, but it would take me a long time to familiarise myself with the code-base, so I'd need a lot of help from other Pale Moon developers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-04, 23:48

The issue with having a windowed and an in-content version of something is that they usually require different code. Keeping both in the browser also means both types of code need to be maintained; implementing it won't be a one-shot deal as it will also need to duplicate any changes in both versions.

Also, for both the add-ons manager and permissions manager, there is the issue that you have larger amounts of data that you can't easily fit into a reasonably-sized dialog box without it being large and having scrollbars -- at that point, you may as well have it in a tab or content window.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-05-05, 00:22

xtal256 wrote:I tried that add-on, but it did not allow me to open existing in-content pages as new windows. It seems to be designed specifically for making windows open as tabs and not the other way around.
Yes, you're right, sorry for misleading. Thought it would work two-way.

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-05, 00:50

Moonchild wrote:The issue with having a windowed and an in-content version of something is that they usually require different code. Keeping both in the browser also means both types of code need to be maintained; implementing it won't be a one-shot deal as it will also need to duplicate any changes in both versions.
Ok, fair enough. I'll try to extend my add-on then.
Moonchild wrote:Also, for both the add-ons manager and permissions manager, there is the issue that you have larger amounts of data that you can't easily fit into a reasonably-sized dialog box without it being large and having scrollbars -- at that point, you may as well have it in a tab or content window.
That's not really a valid argument, as a window can be any size you like, including making it as big as the browser window.
Besides, both those views still require vertical scroll bars even in a tab, assuming you have a large number of add-ons/permissions and your browser window isn't 2000 pixels high :)

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-05, 03:27

Just thinking, if you were to have the window include the in-content view in a browser element, wouldn't that eliminate the duplicate code problem? Because most of the code would still be in-content, and there would be just a little bit of boiler-plate to set up the window around it.

This is what Classicish Add-on Manager does, according to this code:

Code: Select all

<window ... id="addonsManagerWrapper" windowtype="AddonManager:Wrapper" ... >
    <browser id="amBrowser" src="about:addons" flex="1" type="content"/>
</window>
Unless you're talking about something else. I see the add-on duplicates the bindings xml file. I'm not sure why this is, but I was hoping that it would not be necessary if the functionality was part of core browser rather than an add-on.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-05-05, 04:05

This add-on does not work for me. And yes, the permissions Manager seems like it would be in a native window, but it's not. I miss those separate windows for certain functions. Such as the add-on Manager and Downloads, which is why I use Aviary Add-ons Manager and Downloads Window. So, maybe this should be converted into an add-on.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-05, 05:11

I would prefer this functionality to be part of the browser, since those windows/tabs are actually part of the browser. Add-ons are more for adding functionality or significantly changing existing functionality. Something like this could (ideally) just be another options somewhere that says "Open Add-ons Manager / Permissions Manager in: <new window> | <new tab>".

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-10, 04:56

I've modified my add-on I mentioned earlier so it also opens the Permissions Manager in a separate window.
If anyone is interested in the code, I have attached it here. If you want to use it, just rename the .zip file to .xpi and install it. I cannot guarantee it will work on your system, but it's pretty simple so I don't see why it wouldn't (I've actually stripped back a lot of the existing "Classicish Add-on Manager" code).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-05-10, 21:55

There are some issues with it. Maybe with Australium? I'll have confirm a bit latter today or tomorrow as I got a business trip.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-10, 23:14

Looks fine to me on a plain 27.3 install. Perhaps the issue is with your theme.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-11, 18:38

LimboSlam wrote:There are some issues with it. Maybe with Australium? I'll have confirm a bit latter today or tomorrow as I got a business trip.
If you're referring to about:addons, Australium does some rather...hacky things to do what I'd like with it. It's not really something I can work around for an add-on that does something like this, unfortunately.

With regards to the permissions manager any oddly-placed labels and missing icons will be addressed as I find time to do so, as I want to do some other big changes to that theme anyway.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-05-19, 04:27

Lootyhoof wrote:If you're referring to about:addons, Australium does some rather...hacky things to do what I'd like with it. It's not really something I can work around for an add-on that does something like this, unfortunately.

With regards to the permissions manager any oddly-placed labels and missing icons will be addressed as I find time to do so, as I want to do some other big changes to that theme anyway.
Yes, I was. Thanks.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-05-19, 04:54

I have some more questions, and hopefully xtal256 or Lootyhoof can answer them:

1) Does Windowify adapt to certain complete themes, such as Fox 2 The Moon and Moonfox3?
2) Or just adapt to a more native appearance, like the current add-ons manager in Pale Moon?
3) Will it be versatile in which native scheme it takes on, notably Mac and Linux?
4) Is it supposed to resemble and function similar to Classicish Add-on Manager screenshots on AMO?

Thanks again, :D!