Add proper smooth scrolling by default.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Pale as the Moon

Add proper smooth scrolling by default.

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-04-29, 08:26

Hi there,

currently I have both Waterfox and Pale Moon running on the same Windows machine(s). One thing I have noticed is that Waterfox does scroll far smoother by default. It is more pleasant to look at for the eye and no micro-stuttering can be seen. Pale Moon appears to micro-stutter in comparison. I have noticed this on both new and old profiles and on two different machines, using the same websites - so it doesn't seem to be a coincidence. I ask you to compare the scrolling behavior of the two browsers and have a look yourself. Would be glad if Waterfox' scrolling behavior could be introduced in Pale Moon as well, as it is really a good experience.

Thanks for your attention, hope this is given some consideration.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Add proper smooth scrolling by default.

Unread post by adisib » 2017-04-29, 18:26

Waterfox uses Asynchronous Panning and Zooming. This requires e10s, so is unlikely to make it into Pale Moon. Pale Moon would have to address this issue differently.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-30, 09:46

adisib wrote:Waterfox uses Asynchronous Panning and Zooming.
Waterfox uses whatever Firefox comes up with, since it's a re-build. Anything like this that is findamentally deep in the rendering engine will not have been touched by the Waterfox developer who hasn't touched its C++ for a long time now.
adisib wrote:This requires e10s, so is unlikely to make it into Pale Moon.
APZ has nothing to do with e10s. I think you have your technologies mixed up XD. I'm also not sure if this perceived smoothness actually has anything to do with APZ, since that would not necessarily address "micro-stutters".
APZ is, however, not desired for our current implementation of Goanna. It simply won't work well.
adisib wrote:Pale Moon would have to address this issue differently.
And I have played with some stuff to improve this already, however I'm not yet sure if it's ready to be enabled by default. Probably is, but will need testing. I'll flip it on in the unstable channel and people can have a go at it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-04-30, 10:18

Good to hear something is done about that. Yeah, I had no better word than "micro-stutters" at hand for this behavior, since it does not really "hang". It's more like multiple small interruptions when scrolling which do add up to something visible, whereas Waterfox' scrolling behavior appears to be fluid.
It feels like Pale Moon was the beta and Waterfox was the final, so to speak.

When the improvements @Moonchild mentioned roll out (I assume with Pale Moon 27.4) I will intensively test this against Waterfox and will give you further feedback.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-04-30, 10:34

Pale as the Moon wrote:When the improvements @Moonchild mentioned roll out (I assume with Pale Moon 27.4) I will intensively test this against Waterfox and will give you further feedback.
The unstable channel was mentioned, so you can probably already check it out there. Make sure to read instructions and backup your profile.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-04-30, 17:02

Moonchild wrote: Waterfox uses whatever Firefox comes up with, since it's a re-build. Anything like this that is findamentally deep in the rendering engine will not have been touched by the Waterfox developer who hasn't touched its C++ for a long time now.
I never said it was Waterfox's own solution.
Moonchild wrote: APZ has nothing to do with e10s. I think you have your technologies mixed up XD. I'm also not sure if this perceived smoothness actually has anything to do with APZ, since that would not necessarily address "micro-stutters".
APZ is, however, not desired for our current implementation of Goanna. It simply won't work well.
I know they aren't the same thing. The fact is, however, that Firefox will not use APZ unless e10s is enabled. Flip off e10s, you are no longer are using APZ. Presumably, this would mean that APZ is tied to e10s in some way, unless you are suggesting they are arbitrarily not allowing it just so that Firefox will feel smoother with e10s to make people more accepting of it or some such idea?
Moonchild wrote: And I have played with some stuff to improve this already, however I'm not yet sure if it's ready to be enabled by default. Probably is, but will need testing. I'll flip it on in the unstable channel and people can have a go at it.
Glad to hear!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-30, 22:35

adisib wrote:I know they aren't the same thing. The fact is, however, that Firefox will not use APZ unless e10s is enabled.
That's really not a necessary requirement. APZ is NOT dependent on e10s. Why Mozilla links those two, only Mozilla can answer.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-07-13, 04:45

Has this improved feature been in implemented, or enabled? If disabled, then what is the preference name?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-07-13, 05:13

LimboSlam wrote:Has this improved feature been in implemented, or enabled? If disabled, then what is the preference name?
If you are referring to "And I have played with some stuff to improve this already, however I'm not yet sure if it's ready to be enabled by default. Probably is, but will need testing. I'll flip it on in the unstable channel and people can have a go at it.", I believe these are the prefs related to the mentioned unstable channel change that was added to 27.4:
gfx.vsync.compositor;true
gfx.vsync.refreshdriver;true

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-07-16, 20:44

adisib wrote:If you are referring to "And I have played with some stuff to improve this already, however I'm not yet sure if it's ready to be enabled by default. Probably is, but will need testing. I'll flip it on in the unstable channel and people can have a go at it."
Yes, I am. I have found the answer in the release notes. See below:
Enabled v-sync aligned refresh for a smoother scrolling experience.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime