Filtering of JS/CSS warnings in the browser console window

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Filtering of JS/CSS warnings in the browser console window

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-04-23, 16:51

It is a sad fact that if you enable (CSS or javascript) warnings in the browser console you get absolutely drowned in complaints from the outside world.

However the only filter we have appears to be pretty global - if I want to see errors (anything), warnings (my code), log lines (anything), I can't do it. It makes it sort of hard to develop my extension and keep it clean - I have to take several bites at the cherry as I cant see the messages in the context of page fetches and so on.

Is there any likelihood of the browser console filtering being updated ?

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Filtering of JS/CSS warnings in the browser console window

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-09, 04:38

I was going to agree with you, as I've always been frustrated by the lack of a search/filter function on that window, and then I noticed this:

It's been there all along! (or at least, since v27.3)
It is kind of confusing having that "Code" text box along the top though, I keep thinking that's the search box. But the filter box makes sense where it is, because that's where it is in the main browser window.

EDIT: And if you're talking about the dev tools' console instead, it also has a filter box at the top right.
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-09, 05:00

I'll be damned. REALLY?!

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-05-09, 20:19

umm, (a) that's not the standard window because in the standard window the filter is at the top
(b) I know about that box: as per my original post

However the only filter we have appears to be pretty global - if I want to see errors (anything), warnings (my code), log lines (anything), I can't do it. It makes it sort of hard to develop my extension and keep it clean - I have to take several bites at the cherry as I cant see the messages in the context of page fetches and so on.
The filter as far as I can see is 'only see things that match this text' but like I said I'd like to see net requests as well as messages / warnings from my extension, as it gives me more context to work out why the message happened. though thinking about if if the net request logging printed from where the request was made that'd do the trick nicely.