Remove the 1px line at the top of F11-fullscreen windows?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Agent Orange

Remove the 1px line at the top of F11-fullscreen windows?

Unread post by Agent Orange » 2017-03-25, 17:20

When entering "Immersive fullscreen" via F11, there is a 1px black line across the entire top of the screen:

e.g., http://www.this-page-intentionally-left-blank.org/

Would it be possible to have this removed? It would be nice to take "perfect" 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1920x1080, etc. screenshots of webpages without the 1px at the top that has to be cropped.

(Even making it invisible or whatever via UserChrome.css hacks would still make the page flow off by 1px if I understand correctly)

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Remove the 1px line at the top of F11-fullscreen windows?

Unread post by adisib » 2017-03-25, 18:35

I don't get any line when in fullscreen in Pale Moon on Windows 10. Perhaps this is related to a custom theme?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-25, 19:11

What you're seeing it the "hot edge" for showing tabs/navigation.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2017-03-26, 01:09

Agent Orange wrote:Would it be possible to have this removed? It would be nice to take "perfect" 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1920x1080, etc. screenshots of webpages without the 1px at the top that has to be cropped.
If you want to take "perfect" screenshots of web pages, you can press Shift-F2, then type "screenshot " followed by the filename. You can also do "screenshot filename.png --fullpage" to save even the contents of the web page that are off the screen currently. It doesn't include the window decorations. Examples created as I was typing this up:
forum.png
forum2.png

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2017-03-26, 01:22

This line also shows up on fullscreen html5 (or youtube is just broken, which wouldn't be a surprise).
Since in this case you can't get to your tabs/etc, should it be hidden?

I know it's probably not a big deal, but it prevents scaling from being an integer multiple in a lot of cases.
Attachments
Untitled.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-26, 01:23

Or use an extension like Fireshot that is compatible with Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-03-27, 10:40

screenshotting purposes aside, is there really no way to get rid of this "hot edge"?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-27, 10:53

fillerup wrote:screenshotting purposes aside, is there really no way to get rid of this "hot edge"?
Not without also removing the interaction with the screen edge in the way it's currently programmed. It's possible, but will require some work to re-write how the mouse interacts with the screen edge in full screen.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-03-27, 10:57

Moonchild wrote:Not without also removing the interaction with the screen edge in the way it's currently programmed. It's possible, but will require some work to re-write how the mouse interacts with the screen edge in full screen.
just to be clear, is this considered the hot edge? (white bar, on the left because i use Tree Style Tabs)
hot edge.png

Agent Orange

Unread post by Agent Orange » 2017-03-31, 14:39

Off-topic:
Andrew Gilbertson wrote:If you want to take "perfect" screenshots of web pages, you can press Shift-F2, then type "screenshot " followed by the filename. You can also do "screenshot filename.png --fullpage" to save even the contents of the web page that are off the screen currently. It doesn't include the window decorations.
Very handy and cool to know; thank you!
_Poke_ wrote:This line also shows up on fullscreen html5 (or youtube is just broken, which wouldn't be a surprise).

I know it's probably not a big deal, but it prevents scaling from being an integer multiple in a lot of cases.
This definitely seems like a good point.
Moonchild wrote:
fillerup wrote:screenshotting purposes aside, is there really no way to get rid of this "hot edge"?
Not without also removing the interaction with the screen edge in the way it's currently programmed.

It's possible, but will require some work to re-write how the mouse interacts with the screen edge in full screen.
Just my $0.02 but I think it would be a very good design choice/decision/change to have the hotedge both invisible and removed from page flow.

"Full Screen" should occupy the full screen, generally speaking. Not that 1px matters that much, but still…

(Then again, I'm actually partial to the way Chrome handles fullscreen, myself… :mrgreen: I hate it when I'm trying to interact with page elements near the top of the screen, and the webpage keeps getting yanked up and down; but I suppose one of the key features of Pale Moon is that it's NOT succumbing to the trend of imitating Chrome wherever possible…)

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-04-01, 13:26

Random opinion:

Full screen mode should allow the site to use the full screen.

I don't need a hot edge in full screen. If I want to interact with the browser controls, I will exit full screen.

Hot edges in general are a UI no-no, as they are non-discoverable. Only appropriate for Easter eggs, etc.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-04-01, 18:00

I've disabled any theme I have, and removed my userChrome. I still can't get a hot-edge to appear for me (not that I want it) and fullscreen YouTube is scaling properly to the resolution of my display.

Agent Orange

Unread post by Agent Orange » 2017-05-01, 20:38

So, what's the status on this currently?

Pale Moon 27.3.0 still has the "hotedge" in fullscreen. I can't imagine any reasons to keep it. Like Ben said,
BenFenner wrote:Full screen mode should allow the site to use the full screen.

I don't need a hot edge in full screen. If I want to interact with the browser controls, I will exit full screen.
So, is this just a low-priority "if anyone wants to put in the work to fix it" change? Or is it being left in intentionally as a design decision?

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-05-01, 20:51

I looked again since people are still interested, and I found out the reason why the hot edge is disabled for me. I have the preference "browser.fullscreen.animateUp" set to "0". It doesn't look like this entry is supposed to disable the hot-edge, only its animation, so I don't know why that would be the case. For the people who want to remove it, try going to about:config and setting that option to see if it removes it for you as well.

Agent Orange

Unread post by Agent Orange » 2017-05-01, 21:17

Off-topic:
adisib wrote:I looked again since people are still interested, and I found out the reason why the hot edge is disabled for me. I have the preference "browser.fullscreen.animateUp" set to "0". It doesn't look like this entry is supposed to disable the hot-edge, only its animation, so I don't know why that would be the case. For the people who want to remove it, try going to about:config and setting that option to see if it removes it for you as well.
This setting does not disable the hot-edge: it's still there, occupies 1px, and pulls up the UI on mouseover. The only thing it changes is making the UI's appearance and disappearance instant vs scrolling in+out.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-01, 21:29

You can remove this (or tweak it, if you prefer) using either Stylish or userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#main-window[inFullscreen=true] #navigator-toolbox {
  display: none !important;
}
Removing it outright isn't something I'd personally like to see; what if someone wants to switch tabs while being in fullscreen, or access their bookmarks (for example)?

Agent Orange

Unread post by Agent Orange » 2017-05-01, 21:37

Lootyhoof wrote:You can remove this (or tweak it, if you prefer) using either Stylish or userChrome.css:

#main-window[inFullscreen=true] #navigator-toolbox {
}
Removing it outright isn't something I'd personally like to see; what if someone wants to switch tabs while being in fullscreen, or access their bookmarks (for example)?
I pasted that code into mqefghyw.default/chrome/userChrome.css (I had to create the "chrome" folder, as per MozillaZine Knowledgebase) and restarted the browser, but the black bar remains.

What that code does, rather than hiding the 1px hotbar, is disable the actual UI dropdown itself; when I move my mouse to the top of the screen, the 1px black bar just disappears (making the page "truly fullscreen"—but only while the mouse is positioned there).

So that code is clearly very close to being the solution, but not quite it. Instead of removing the disruptive element, it only removes the one with actual utility.

I poked around (grep -r navigator-toolbox) the source code, but neither browser/base/content/browser.js nor browser/base/content/browser.xul seems to contain any instances of the word "hot", so I'm basically out of ideas :think:.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-05-01, 22:06

Agent Orange wrote:
Off-topic:
adisib wrote:I looked again since people are still interested, and I found out the reason why the hot edge is disabled for me. I have the preference "browser.fullscreen.animateUp" set to "0". It doesn't look like this entry is supposed to disable the hot-edge, only its animation, so I don't know why that would be the case. For the people who want to remove it, try going to about:config and setting that option to see if it removes it for you as well.
This setting does not disable the hot-edge: it's still there, occupies 1px, and pulls up the UI on mouseover. The only thing it changes is making the UI's appearance and disappearance instant vs scrolling in+out.
I checked to see if maybe it was a combination of preferences, and that is the case. I went to a different computer and updated Pale Moon, uninstalled all addons and themes, and did a refresh to make all preferences back to the default. Setting "browser.fullscreen.animateUp" did not disable the hot edge. But "browser.fullscreen.animateUp" set to "0" combined with "browser.tabs.onTop" set to "true" disables the hot-edge. So there is a preference combination required, and some people might not want tabs on top. More than likely this is a bug, but I hope it doesn't get fixed until there is an alternative way to disable the hot-edge.

Maybe someone can find a style change that will replace having to set tabs on top to disable the hot-edge while keeping tabs on the bottom.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-05-01, 22:45

Actually, I decided I might as well look around the browser style code and found the code that creates the 1px bar. You can disable it with userChrome (make sure to restart your browser afterwards):

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#fullscr-toggler {
}
It seems to also prevent the navigator toolbox from dropping down, since there isn't a hot-edge to hover over anymore. You can leave your tabs on the bottom. Enjoy. I wont use it myself for now though, because I don't know if the bug that is disabling it for me already will shave another pixel off of the actual content.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2017-05-02, 05:08

I personally have "browser.fullscreen.animateUp" set to 0, and "browser.tabs.onTop" set to true, but the 1px bar still appears. There are probably other settings I've changed that negate the bug.
Thanks for the CSS fix!
It gave Youtube the full screen size, which means that this bar does appear by default when HTML5 puts things in fullscreen (a case where it doesn't actually function).
Attachments
Untitled.png