List all tabs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
vayth

List all tabs

Unread post by vayth » 2012-10-06, 14:54

this is not really a suggestion/request, but I don't know where to put this.
and since it's a question about feature, I thought I should just put it here.

What is the difference between "Group your tabs" and "List all tabs" next to the tabs?
If I remember correctly, List was PM's original feature before Firefox had Group, right? (since my Ubuntu's FF only has Group and no List)
and it seems all List offers are in Group's feature (listing, arrange, and search)
Now that FF has Group by default, is there really a need to keep List? Won't they be redundant? Will removing one of them make PM more optimized? Although I don't think it will affect much for something like that, it will still be a little neater look with less icons up there.

Unless, of course, it has something different feature I failed to notice, or you have some other thinking.
Thanks before.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: List all tabs

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-06, 15:13

The two are significantly different.

"Tab groups" is Firefox's previous "panorama" feature. It is a means to organize tabs into groups (hence the name) if that is the way you want to work with tabs. Grouped tabs will have "non-active groups" completely hidden from your current window, for example, which can be a disadvantage. The visual organization is also different and thumbnails in general are too small to comfortably read or get the gist of, since that is not what tab groups are for. The search function in tab groups is limited to highlighting tabs and will not filter out anything. Performance-wise, tab groups is (much) slower.

"List tabs" (indeed present in Pale Moon before tab groups was introduced) will show all of your tabs that are currently active (either in your current window, or in the current group). It can therefore work in tandem with and enhance working with tab groups. The function also displays a region of the page in such a way that the content remains somewhat legible.The search function in the list will in fact only show the relevant tabs, and remove ones that are no match. This makes it an invaluable tool if you use a larger amount of tabs but don't want to use groups, or tend to have tabs open with (very) similar content, since you can quickly select exactly the tab you need. The more accurate your search becomes, the fewer tiles are displayed, and the larger they are - so it is immediately clear which one of the results you want, without experimentation or guesswork.

Both features, although at first glance looking somewhat similar on the screen with the display of page thumbnails, each have their own purpose and specific goal, and can work to enhance each other. They aren't making the other redundant.

EDIT: Of course, if you only ever use one of the two because of how you use the browser, it takes 1 second to "customize" and drag the icon you don't use to the customization window, removing it from the UI and making it "cleaner"
Last edited by Moonchild on 2012-10-06, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Right-click and customize is your friend.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2012-10-07, 03:33

I see..
you're right, although the function is somewhat similar, the purpose and how they work is different.
I rarely use Group.. don't know about the 'inside things' like memory management of those aren't shown because they're on different group, but I can just use different window.. switching different window is faster than switching different group anyway, at least in my opinion..
so I guess I'll remove Group from the UI...
thx again~

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-07, 09:30

vayth wrote:switching different window is faster than switching different group anyway
Yes, it is. Alt-Tab is much faster than going through panorama ;)
(I personally never use groups, either, because of it being cumbersome like that)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-08, 02:27

Panorama is quite difficult to use.
Do you think about removing it in the next version of PM ?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-08, 08:07

Hmm 'list all tabs' is more efficient then group all tabs.
In 'list all tabs' you can search for a site. This is very nice.

So if you want to remove one feature, please remove then 'group tabs'

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-08, 08:54

Both features are used by different users, so I'm not just arbitrarily going to completely remove one or the other just because I wouldn't use it myself if it's a little clunky to use for me personally, or because it is slightly less popular (unlike some people *cough*Mozilla*cough*).

If use of panorama really is very low and doesn't warrant a permanent UI element because of it, I'll remove the icon from the UI by default and make a different way of accessing Tab Groups, but the feature will remain in the browser. As it is though, popularity doesn't seem to be that low.