Tab drawer as alternative to tab bar

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Tab drawer as alternative to tab bar

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-24, 02:58

Here's something I haven't seen discussed yet in this forum, but I think would be a cool feature for Pale Moon in future versions, namely:

Allow the user to choose an alternative form of tabbed browsing, in which the tabs are displayed vertically in a drawer on the side of the window (including optional thumbnail pictures of the pages), which would open and close as the user needed.

Here's a screenshot of what I mean, from a browser called Omniweb, which implemented this feature a decade ago:

When I used the Omniweb browser many years ago on my MacBrook Pro, I was pleased to have this feature. (I am not aware of any browser currently that implements tabbed browsing exactly in this way).

And you can have it without the thumbnails, just the names of the web pages, for when you have a lot of tabs open (from an old Omniweb manual):

I would find this feature to be very convenient now, as my laptop screen is small, and wider than it is long, and there are quite a few pages where I have to remove most of the toolbars to see the page properly. If I had tabs in a drawer on the side, that could slide in and out as needed, that would improve the display of content.

I realize that you have a full plate, but I hope that this is something you might consider working on.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Tab drawer as alternative to tab bar

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-24, 14:50

There are already extensions that allow tabs to be placed in the sidebar, so you should probably look into using one of those.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-02-24, 16:46

IMO, vertical tabs do not belong in a browser, or even a file manager for that matter. Not everybody has wide-screen Ultra 4k monitors, some us have lower res monitors and vertical tabs take way too much of our screen space.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-24, 18:53

I have a small laptop monitor myself. Hardly 4K or top-of-the-line and all that. But it is wider than long, so I would find tab drawers that slide out to be of benefit.

There are several sites that I visit that I must hide practically all the toolbars to see the page properly. For example, there is a language-learning site where I need to see everything from top to bottom and do so at a resolution where I can read the text! So if I could get rid of the tabs along the top that would be of big help to me. And frankly, most sites I visit I find myself in this predicament. My vertical space is insufficient.

As far as taking up too much screen space for other people's system configuration, I did say that it should be optional.

Since Moonchild says they exist, I will look into tab drawer extensions, but I still think it would be a nice optional feature to have natively. So I made my request.

Cheers.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2017-02-24, 21:55

gracious1 wrote:There are several sites that I visit that I must hide practically all the toolbars to see the page properly. For example, there is a language-learning site where I need to see everything from top to bottom and do so at a resolution where I can read the text!
Try pressing F11, which will turn on full-screen mode. (And F11 a second time to get out of full-screen mode.)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-24, 22:40

Andrew Gilbertson wrote:Try pressing F11, which will turn on full-screen mode. (And F11 a second time to get out of full-screen mode.)
Oh, that is handy. :)
Thanks.

I started a new thread about this issue in the Browser Extensions area since that seemed a more appropriate place if this is to be solved through an extension rather than an added feature in PM. You can see what I found there.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-03, 10:41

Ultimately, if a website becomes unusable below certain resolutions that should be generous enough to allow the content to be displayed, then that is a point of attention the web designers of the site need to think about as well to improve usability.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-03-08, 17:15

gracious1 wrote:I am not aware of any browser currently that implements tabbed browsing exactly in this way
You can use Showcase in it's 'Showcase Sidebar' mode for the 'with previews' effect: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/showcase/

Forked extensions :
โ— Add-ons Inspector โ— Auto Text Link โ— Copy As Plain Text โ— Copy Hyperlink Text โ— FireFTP button replacement โ— gSearch Bar โ— Navigation Bar Enhancer โ— New Tab Links โ— Number Tabs โ— Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 โ— Scrollbar Search Marker โ— Simple Marker โ— Tabs To Portfolio โ— Update Alert โ— Web Developer's Toolbox โ— Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-09, 01:49

Moonchild wrote:Ultimately, if a website becomes unusable below certain resolutions that should be generous enough to allow the content to be displayed, then that is a point of attention the web designers of the site need to think about as well to improve usability.
Yes, that is something I intend to write to the web designers about. There is a lot of wasted whitespace which forces me to use more screen than is really necessary to carry out the exercises.