In-Browser Language selection and Zoom indicator!

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Sun-Glasses

In-Browser Language selection and Zoom indicator!

Unread post by Sun-Glasses » 2017-01-31, 12:51

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to suggest that I would like to see the in-browser language selection Waterfox offers since version 51 in Pale Moon. Under Options -> General it lets you choose your language from a list. Therefore the language packs are bundled with Waterfox. I believe it would make things a whole lot easier for non English-speaking people. Not everybody knows where to find or how to install language packs, especially not the about:config part.

Furthermore I would like to see the zoom indicators Firefox is going to have in its address bar in Pale Moon. Seeing the zoom level of a site just makes sense.

Cheers
Sun-Glasses
Last edited by Sun-Glasses on 2017-01-31, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Re: In-Browser Language selection and Zoom indicator!

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-31, 13:17

Just follow the steps on https://www.palemoon.org/langpacks.shtml and youre finish.
Easy enough for all users and better then bundle all languages

Sun-Glasses

Unread post by Sun-Glasses » 2017-01-31, 13:20

It's not a probem of mine, you see. I have my language pack installed. My propsal is aimed at rather "standard" users who I believe would profit from this change.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-01-31, 14:45

There is an extension for that.

Sun-Glasses

Unread post by Sun-Glasses » 2017-01-31, 14:52

There is an extension for that.
That's exactly what Mozilla would say, Tobin. However, downloading an extension is not exactly an advantage here as downloading an extension and downloading a language pack is the same amount of action necessary. The Waterfox developer intended to eliminate this burden and included the language packs in the installer. This was actually very well received in his comment section.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-31, 15:11

• There is no reason for a majority of Pale Moon users to have to download and install an extra half meg x however many language packs we have (installer size) that they will never use.
  • Even if someone wants a different language, all the other ones are still dead weight and wasted bandwidth/disk space for users; as well as bandwidth for us.
  • Waterfox can simply grab ready-made language packs from Firefox, being a rebuild (and not a fork), means that l10n progress and updates is never an issue. Unlike with us.
  • Extensions are there for a reason. The language selection extension is a streamlined way of changing the locale and a good middle ground.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-01-31, 15:16

Good for Waterfox. As far as I know, there is zero intention of the Pale Moon project to do this. Bundling unnecessary code increases package size and adds additional burden to the primary release engineering process. Whereas, the current scheme suited for a predominantly en-US product ensures that the release engineering burden is reduced or at the very least distributed more effectively to those areas of interest.

While I do not intend to dismiss the GUI options from potentially existing in the core product it isn't as simple as provide a list. The list would have to be populated based on a query of what language packs are actually installed.

Regardless, you continue to miss the point and position your self in a stance that aims to mutate a general use product to fall in line with your personal concepts and workflow. You would be wise to change this approach less we have a repeat of past events.

Sun-Glasses

Unread post by Sun-Glasses » 2017-01-31, 15:41

There is no reason for a majority of Pale Moon users to have to download and install an extra half meg x however many language packs we have (installer size) that they will never use.
Well, since you can't know the language of a user you would have to bundle every single language you offer. However, this proposal intends to faciliate the WAY users access a language which would without a doubt become easier when the language packs are bundled.
Even if someone wants a different language, all the other ones are still dead weight and wasted bandwidth/disk space for users; as well as bandwidth for us.
I agree with you regarding the extra space, but this should not matter a lot in times of 500 GB+ HDDs/SSDs. Anyway.
Waterfox can simply grab ready-made language packs from Firefox, being a rebuild (and not a fork), means that l10n progress and updates is never an issue. Unlike with us.
Yet there are language packs for Pale Moon which could be bundled. That's all I wanted to say in the first place. Did not intend to compare Pale Moon with Waterfox.
Extensions are there for a reason. The language selection extension is a streamlined way of changing the locale and a good middle ground.
That's not an extension but a standard feature in most browsers, though.
Regardless, you continue to miss the point and position your self in a stance that aims to mutate a general use product to fall in line with your personal concepts and workflow. You would be wise to change this approach less we have a repeat of past events.
This has nothing to do with my personal workflow. I am not even affected as I have my language pack installed. Yet keep in mind this is a standard feature in most browsers. And Tobin: Honestly, I made several constructive proposals on this site which were rebutted without giving a technical reason, but "principles". That's also dissatisfying for me, right? Yet here I stand and do not whine about it despite some personal attacks coming from some specific fanboys on this site (whose names are known). Anyway, I don't see a reason to mention the positive aspects of a product as this leads nowhere. I always thought constructive criticism would be far more valuable. Your entire view of me therefore seems to be based on a misconception. Anyway, don't want to argue with you about that at all as this also leads nowhere.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-01-31, 15:46

Off-topic:
Here we go again. MAN I wish I was still a moderator...sometimes.
I'm out.

Sun-Glasses

Unread post by Sun-Glasses » 2017-01-31, 15:59

Off-topic:
Here we go again. MAN I wish I was still a moderator...sometimes.

I'm out.
I did nothing wrong. I made a proposal. This proposal was not seen as helpful. End of story. What's your problem, Tobin?

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-01-31, 17:11

Sun-Glasses wrote:This proposal was
Thanks for your suggestion/proposal. After my opinion is not so good idea. But maybe devs should consider in some future versions.

I remand you that Pale Moon is much better browser than Waterfox...actually I think that Waterfox is doomed to fail, here is why:
- It's firefox under a different name, just trying to get more internet acceptance under a new name
- by using the FireFox codes (exactly the same except some logo pictures)
- is crashing constantly and is suffering from memory leaks
- Waterfox browser is insecure
- lack of updates and the developer not fixing bad memory fragmentation
- Waterfox have not even littlest chance in comparison with Pale Moon

btw... I'm not Tobin's funboy but I thik he is simpatico :)

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-31, 18:57

If you ask me, bundling language packs is just a waste of space.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-01, 00:27

Sun-Glasses wrote:Yet there are language packs for Pale Moon which could be bundled. That's all I wanted to say in the first place.
Could, but aren't, for good reasons mentioned and explained by 2 people no less, and summarily ignored by you, to drag out the debate.

Locking this thread.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite