Improve downloads

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Fedor2

Improve downloads

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-30, 20:04

Downloading, a large file especially, often silently fails with no giving reason. And there is no restart button only open folder. This is came probably from later firefox, as downloads feature also have become poor there.
So i propose.
1. If download fails make an alert of this, optional if you want.
2. Restore restart button persistence.
3. Restore pause and continue download feature.

Of course you can say use an extension, and i do it already, but this browser feature is, so why not to do it properly and good? Also i can coding and probably can do that myself, you just approve.

dark_moon

Re: Improve downloads

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-30, 20:31

What is a large file for you? ISO files with size 4-5gb are not a problem.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-30, 20:38

dark_moon wrote:What is a large file for you? ISO files with size 4-5gb are not a problem.
Off-topic:
In my opinion, a 2gb ISO image is fairly large to download.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-30, 21:47

What is a large file for you?
greater than 100mb, last time there was drivers from asus.com, i had copy them into flash drive then went to install on the other pc, was angry with that almost all files actually was not fully downloaded.
Last edited by Fedor2 on 2017-01-30, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-30, 21:57

Then this was a server problem, or you lost your connection.
Or a security programm block something.
Or the copy to your usb drive wasnt finished or corrupted, or the whole usb drive is corrupted.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-30, 22:06

it was apparently a server problem, but in the browser it was showed as all downloads finished without errors.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-30, 22:23

It would say this isn't a browser error.
If you get much problems which a specific site then write the admins a message or use a download manager which is designed to resume automatically

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-30, 22:49

It would say this isn't a browser error.
Neither i, i say that "downloads" features are poor. Further more it was good enough in older firefoxes, so i suggest to do some restore.
If you start downloading did you not expect that if it fails, regardless of the reason, browser should alert it or notice it on the download window?
I'm not saying about automatic resuming, only stuff i mentioned at the beginning.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-30, 23:06

If a file download get abort Pale Moon show you this and give you the option to restore the download.

But then the server send you a corrupted file, Pale Moon can't use magic to give you the not-corrupted version.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-30, 23:46

But then the server send you a corrupted file
No, file is normal, it happens that file are downloaded only partial but treated as it downloaded completely.
Actually i don't recall when this bad behavior was introduced, as for pause and resume option, it was removed after firefox 10. And there was no restart as well, confused with opera.
Once i had not such issues with Pale moon 26.

So as know for file downloading, when you send request to download file, you receive file attributes like size. And for this does it happens that server may send wrong size value?

Also i must add: i use download managers occasionally and for a long time, and with them such issue have never happened.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-31, 00:40

Did you try downloading problematic files using a clean profile?

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-01-31, 00:41

Hi guys, ...I just passing thru...

What's up?

I see...You practicing on new modern 'Hamlet', I think

'To download, or not to download, that is the question
Be all my sins remembered'

:think:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-31, 06:19

Whether the browser knows if a file is complete or not depends very much on the way the downloads are offered by the server.
If the server doesn't provide a file size, for example, then the browser can't know if the file is complete or not if the download connection is closed.
If you regularly need to download large files over a connection of questionable quality, then I do recommend a download manager like DtA for those large downloads.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2017-01-31, 06:37

I actually did have a similar issue a few days ago... I think it was actually a rather small file (about 10MB) from SourceForge, but there were issues with my connection (or the server's) and the file kept being truncated. The thing is ... the browser DID know the complete file size (because it showed the full size on the supposedly completed download), but the downloaded file was nowhere near that size.

I just tried to reproduce the issue (by simply disconnecting my internet connection during a download), but I couldn't. However, that day I actually tried to download the file multiple times and ran into the issue several times. I have no idea what caused this issue. (Though, for what it's worth, I was downloading a larger file via qBittorrent at the same time, which I think may have caused the connection issues...)

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-31, 17:48

If the server doesn't provide a file size
In such case browser keep receiving data, until received that there is last data chunk, if not received and connection closed must throw an error.
The matter is that i suppose downloading mechanics a way has deteriorated in Pale moon 27, because it has so in newer firefox which Pale moon rely on. So why not improve it or even if not restore as it was?
However i do not rely on native browsers downloading for now, and use an extension.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-01-31, 18:59

Fedor2 wrote:native browsers downloading
Fedor, I not use extension for downloading
2017-01-31_194419.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-31, 19:18

kizo07
You never had that problem. Did you? what internet do you use?

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-01-31, 19:41

Fedor2 wrote:that problem. Did you? what internet
Very seldom

Wireless (public network)
WPA-Personal
AES
50-100 Mbps
Acrylic DNS Proxy
PrimaryServerAddress=64.6.64.6
SecondaryServerAddress=64.6.65.6
TCP/IPv4 (127.0.0.1)
TCP/IPv6 ::1
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN

redblade7

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-01-31, 22:37

dark_moon wrote:What is a large file for you? ISO files with size 4-5gb are not a problem.
Why would you want to download that through the regular browser though?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-31, 22:52

redblade7 wrote:
Why would you want to download that through the regular browser though?
Why not? For example Windows ISO from Microsoft server. Or Linux ISO. I see no reason to use a torrent program just for 1 file. Also i dont like torrent.
I have fast internet (VDSL 50000), so i dont care about 4,5,6, whatever GB.