Improve downloads

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
redblade7

Re: Improve downloads

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-02-01, 01:27

dark_moon wrote:
redblade7 wrote:
dark_moon wrote:What is a large file for you? ISO files with size 4-5gb are not a problem.
Why would you want to download that through the regular browser though?
Why not? For example Windows ISO from Microsoft server. Or Linux ISO. I see no reason to use a torrent program just for 1 file. Also i dont like torrent.
I have fast internet (VDSL 50000), so i dont care about 4,5,6, whatever GB.
I was thinking more of a download manager, like KGet, FreeDownloadManager, or DownThemAll

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-02-01, 18:03

kizo07
50 mbs a good intenet, for me i suppose, that's because your downloads never broken. I have only 5 mbs adsl.

Why not? For example Windows ISO from Microsoft server.
I also used to download them only with the browser, however i had unexpectedly many broken downloads recently, so i started always use an extension.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-02-01, 22:39

Fedor2 wrote:kizo07
50 mbs a good intenet, for me i suppose, that's because your downloads never broken. I have only 5 mbs adsl.

Why not? For example Windows ISO from Microsoft server.
I also used to download them only with the browser, however i had unexpectedly many broken downloads recently, so i started always use an extension.
Weird, I have a 5mbps ADSL and my downloads don't break.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-01, 23:39

Fedor2 wrote:a good intenet
Last couple of mounts, I'm connected to all in one cable TV/phone/breadbond (max up 100 Mbps). But, depends of traffic, can vary much...all from broken connection to maybe 60-65 Mbps optimal.
However, even to download big files or many files at once Pale Moon's 'built in' downloader works just fine here. But I 'admit' that in some seldom cases, when I have some other important tasks to do with PM, I use parallel, external downloader, so I can use Pale Moon 'normally'.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-03, 10:55

I just forgot to say...as external downloader I use 'jdownloader', portable, of course.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-06-26, 14:25

I was conducting a research at diffrent connections, and now have new assumption the matter is not about network error but of the simultaneous downloads. If it is started simultaneous downloads, reasonably big enough, they likely would be quietly failing. More 7 is almost always.
I inspected the code and see that it regulated with promise appliance which well known being not fully supported.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-27, 23:55

Fedor2 wrote:I was conducting a research at diffrent connections, and now have new assumption the matter is not about network error but of the simultaneous downloads. If it is started simultaneous downloads, reasonably big enough, they likely would be quietly failing. More 7 is almost always.
I inspected the code and see that it regulated with promise appliance which well known being not fully supported.
Wrong assumption. Promises are fully supported in Pale Moon 27.*. If your concurrent downloads don't start or stall when starting a large number of them, it is almost certainly throttling on the server side.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-07-01, 11:06

Not sure of course of the promise being fault. But with simultaneous downloads you likely get that silent error.
i begin test this with addons.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-05, 01:38

Fedor2 wrote:Not sure of course of the promise being fault. But with simultaneous downloads you likely get that silent error.
I'm sorry but you seem to have no idea how promises work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-07-12, 15:47

Moonchild wrote:I'm sorry but you seem to have no idea how promises work.
Yes i rather do not. However i am for sure this is an error regardless promise or else. But i never ask you are to begin quickly do something with this. Say just what do you agree that is an error there.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-13, 17:57

There is no error here as far as I can see.
Like I said if you have concurrent downloads not starting, then it's most likely an enforced restriction (throttling) on the server side.
If you need to download many things from sites concurrently, you should be using a more advanced download manager that will automatically retry and deal with throttling stalls, like DownThemAll.