Bookmark panel Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
GeoSlv

Bookmark panel

Unread post by GeoSlv » 2016-10-29, 12:59

When adding a bookmark, the panel that pops up:
Firefox changed it I think after version 3 or whatever. Now it is fixed on the screen, plus other changes.
I'm suggesting to go back to the earlier method. The box was movable, and had a larger better layout.
The eternal question: why does a programmer making changes look and say "I will do away with this feature" which is working well. "I will prevent the panel from being moved".
Why I could even install the old FF version and send ya the old format if you're stuck.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Bookmark panel

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-13, 14:24

Like it or not, but "doorhangers" have been a part of Mozilla-based browsers for a long time. Modal dialogs have a number of drawbacks that simply don't work well in certain situations, including something that should be dismissable-by-navigation like adding a bookmark. You can't do that with a modal dialog box.

You may not like it but it's here to stay.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Gerald

Unread post by Gerald » 2017-07-29, 16:19

... it's here to stay.
Not very encouraging, but I suppose we all have to live with mistakes.

Could it at least not be so frustrating? Believe it or not, some people actually press the key that they meant to press more often than some random key that just happened to be under their finger at the time. People like me, for example, who have been typing for nearly half a century.

I use bookmarks a *lot*, and the Firefox/Palemoon bookmarking cliffhanger or whatever it's called drives me to distraction. When you've added the thirtieth bookmark to the same location which is NOT 'Bookmarks Menu', using the same, tedious procedure every time (CTRL-D, wait five seconds, mouse click, wait five seconds, mouse click, wait five seconds, mouse click, wait five seconds), you'll understand what I mean. I've searched and searched for any way to make it better but come up with nothing.

It would be soooo much less irritating if the bookmark storage location (a) defaulted to the location where I stored the bookmark that I stored previously, instead of 'Bookmarks Menu' -- where I never store *anything* -- and (b) just stored it, instead of bleating about whether I'm sure or not. It doesn't even have to be the default to do it that way, it could be a configurable option where the dragons live so nobody screams the next time there's a point release.

If there was a control-key combination like CTRL-D (or, say, just press it again) that simply added the bookmark to the storage location that I last added one, it would increase my productivity when I'm doing that kind of thing by about a factor of a hundred.

Is that reasonable? Possible? Ever likely to be accepted if I send a patch?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-29, 16:47

Have you tried just clicking on the star to bookmark something? I know it's not your preferred workflow, but if you add bookmarks in rapid succession that you want in a single location, just bookmark them first this way, then open up the library panel, select all your newly created bookmarks (that are in the "unsorted" folder) and drag them to whatever folder you want them in, instead of going through the process one bookmark at a time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2017-07-30, 09:29

You could also try dragging the favicon or the tab to the folder of your choice in either the Library or the sidebar. Some other methods http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarking_methods

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-18, 00:16

SeaMonkey has the old dialog pop up whenever you use any method for making a bookmark except for clicking the icon. Perhaps you could see how they do that?

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-18, 00:21

Sorry for double post, but actually, I just realized SeaMonkey has a seperate "File Bookmark..." Option, that opens that dialog set to "Ctrl + D". This dialog can be accessed in Pale Moon with "Ctrl + Shift + D", (Which SM has set to "Bookmark This Page") though the advanced options are hidden by CSS IIRC.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-09-18, 09:15

RexyDallas wrote:Sorry for double post, but actually, I just realized SeaMonkey has a seperate "File Bookmark..." Option, that opens that dialog set to "Ctrl + D". This dialog can be accessed in Pale Moon with "Ctrl + Shift + D", (Which SM has set to "Bookmark This Page") though the advanced options are hidden by CSS IIRC.
Hitting Ctrl+Shift+D does nothing for me in PM 27.5.0a1 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04.5 . No dialog, nothing.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

testator777

Unread post by testator777 » 2017-09-19, 01:06

Try CTRL+D. That works for me. One other useful keyboard shortcut you might not know of is CTRL+W, which closes a tab.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-09-19, 09:37

testator777 wrote:Try CTRL+D. That works for me. One other useful keyboard shortcut you might not know of is CTRL+W, which closes a tab.
Well, yes, Ctrl-D I knew about. I thought RexyDallas was saying that we could get the old modal dialog rather than the doorhanger by using Ctrl-Shift-D. Or maybe I am misunderstanding altogether.
Off-topic:
Also knew about Ctrl-W. And there is Ctrl-K, which will land your cursor in the Search bar, or take you to your search engine's home page if the search bar is hidden. 8-)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-19, 11:32

gracious1 wrote:Hitting Ctrl+Shift+D does nothing for me in PM 27.5.0a1 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04.5 . No dialog, nothing.

Here on Windows, Ctrl+Shift+D is the keyboard command to bookmark all tabs in a page, and it actually is modal. The dialog won't appear, though, if only one tab is open, or if all tabs in the page have the same url.
Ctrl+Shift+D.png

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-24, 19:25

coffeebreak wrote:
gracious1 wrote:Hitting Ctrl+Shift+D does nothing for me in PM 27.5.0a1 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04.5 . No dialog, nothing.

Here on Windows, Ctrl+Shift+D is the keyboard command to bookmark all tabs in a page, and it actually is modal. The dialog won't appear, though, if only one tab is open, or if all tabs in the page have the same url.

Ctrl+Shift+D.png
I was confused for a second. I understand now, ctlr+shift+d adds a folder. In SeaMonkey, pressing that does a normal bookmark function, (like pressing the button would) whereas "ctrl+d" is bound to a "file bookmark..." function, which opens the classic bookmark thing. Apparently SeaMonkey doesn't have a shortcut key for "Bookmark this group of tabs...". (which has a menu item there) Hence, I got confused.