Thunderbird Revisited

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
dallas7

Thunderbird Revisited

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-07-18, 19:56

With the "demise" of Thunderbird's severance from Mozilla's idiotic RabidRelease process, perhaps you might want to again look at a Palemoon email client based on the TB ESR plan. Currently at v10.0.5 and scheduled for EOL on 12 Feb 2013 with v10.0.8, v17.0.0 is planned for 20 Nov 2012 to run to 03 Dec 2013. If you did consider that, it might be tough to start with v10 when v17 is so close.

http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/img/ ... r-plan.png

IMHO, you'd need to whip up just a 32 bit version as it's only an email client. And a portable version, too.

Integrate Lightning and XNote.

Any thoughts??

Cheers.

lyceus

Re: Thunderbird Revisited

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-19, 05:16

dallas7 wrote:With the "demise" of Thunderbird's severance from Mozilla's idiotic RabidRelease process, perhaps you might want to again look at a Palemoon email client based on the TB ESR plan. Currently at v10.0.5 and scheduled for EOL on 12 Feb 2013 with v10.0.8, v17.0.0 is planned for 20 Nov 2012 to run to 03 Dec 2013. If you did consider that, it might be tough to start with v10 when v17 is so close.

http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/img/ ... r-plan.png

IMHO, you'd need to whip up just a 32 bit version as it's only an email client. And a portable version, too.

Integrate Lightning and XNote.

Any thoughts??

Cheers.
Hi!

In the WIP section of the Pale Moon website there is a small forgotten app called MailNews 8.0 based in Thunderbird: http://www.palemoon.org/WIP/

It's not updated since there is too much demand in Pale Moon for have time for work on it, maybe if you and other users show some love for MailNews, peraps Moonchild can check the code against new versions and update it!. ;)

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-07-19, 20:11

Thanks for quoting the entirety of my original post. With all the traffic here, I would have never known your reply related to it. ;)

Yes, I am familiar with MailNews which is the reason for the "Revisited" part of my thread's title. I avoided mention of MailNews so not to distract from the focus on TB which just about everyone recognizes. But the included link in your reply will be of use to curious visitors not aware of MN otherwise.

In the meantime, Mozilla's Thunderbird ESR version 10.0.6 was just released. I use Haller's superb portable version available at portableapps dot com.

Nonetheless, I'm still hoping Moonchild can develop a current MailNews, but like you I realize Palemoon is what we crave and don't want him too distracted from that effort.

Cheers!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-20, 00:27

I cannot release a Thunderbird version with official branding for the same reason others are not allowed to redistribute their own Pale Moon builds with official branding.

Time permitting, I will make an overnight build of the Thunderbird source tree with optimizations (with unofficial branding).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-21, 02:45

dallas7 wrote:Thanks for quoting the entirety of my original post. With all the traffic here, I would have never known your reply related to it. ;)
You welcome! You need more screen space in the forum, bud! :mrgreen:

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-21, 02:47

For all curious that want to fork the last Mail&News app, alternative to Thunderbird please ask for Beta testing to Moonchild. (EDIT)

Be warned that this is low priority project.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-21, 03:47

lobocursor wrote:For all curious that want to fork the last Mail&News app, alternative to Thunderbird go to this post: (Url removed)

Be warned that this is low priority project.
The link is reserved.

Note to users: In order to access the link, please sign-up for the BETA-testing team. :)
Unless, Moonchild agrees to move it here, under Development.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-21, 05:47

megaman wrote:The link is reserved.

Note to users: In order to access the link, please sign-up for the BETA-testing team. :)
Unless, Moonchild agrees to move it here, under Development.
Opps sorry! :oops: I removed the link from my post and your post. :oops:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-21, 21:01

I'll post it up on the WIP page on palemoon.org once I get some preliminary testing done.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-07-21, 21:13

Nice :) i will test this then

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-21, 23:12

I'll update the website when i have time, for now you can grab it from ge.tt at http://ge.tt/9cLYPmK
Keep in mind that I won't give any support for this build and haven't extensively tested yet. If you're on Win 7 with "glass" you might want to consider the "ignore aero" theme to have a clearer UI than faded text on transparent buttons. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunde ... nore-aero/

nevadacrab
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nevadacrab » 2012-07-23, 02:06

I am a long time Outlook Express user (I know, I know....),
I won't get away with WinXP forever, though. When the day comes that I have to upgrade to Win7, I'll need a new mail client.
In the past I've toyed with Thunderbird and not cared for it. Knowing how much I prefer Pale Moon to Firefox, I ask:
What are the differences between Thunderbird and MailNews? I just downloaded MailNews 14, and I don't see cosmetic differences. I haven't had a chance to go "under the hood" yet.
Anticipating.....

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-23, 07:52

There are no interface differences. It's purely under the hood, using Pale Moon alike build optimizations.

nevadacrab
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nevadacrab » 2012-07-23, 15:58

Okay! Let's give it a whirl.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-08-24, 13:56

Moonchild, do you plan do build your MailNews like pale moon without the silent update?

Thunderbird have this f***king feature in the comming version 15

This would be awesome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-24, 21:29

I won't have time to build another mail client any time soon. v14 should serve you for a while ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-20, 15:51

Just in case you missed it, I made a v16 build, including x64. Fairly painless to build, and should be stable. If v17 becomes an ESR, then it may be something to look into.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-20, 17:30

Yes i read it and i will test the x64 in the next days.

nevadacrab
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nevadacrab » 2012-10-23, 04:22

Moonchild wrote:Just in case you missed it, I made a v16 build, including x64. Fairly painless to build, and should be stable. If v17 becomes an ESR, then it may be something to look into.
Where can I get it? Is it final? My copy of 14.0 says "Mailnews up to date".

greebo

Unread post by greebo » 2012-10-23, 07:21

works...but Lightning v1.8 add-on does not.