Pale Moon for Linux?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ComputerLuvr

Pale Moon for Linux?

Unread post by ComputerLuvr » 2012-07-08, 15:47

I really, really like using Pale Moon.
I'm not a big fan of the Windows OS.
I was wondering if there might be a version of Pale Moon for Linux users to use. eg. Ubuntu
I'd be delighted if Pale Moon was available for Ubuntu.
Any chances of that happening?
Thanks! :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon for Linux?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-08, 16:08

I'm personally not going to build for Linux, but if some people are interested, they can build the browser and I'll be more than happy to add it as a contributed build and allow redistribution of Pale Moon branded binaries for Linux users that way.

I did some experimental builds but the results were mediocre at best, performance-wise; I decided against dedicating a chunk of my time on Linux builds because of that (and the very small potential user base).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-09, 04:37

ComputerLuvr wrote:I really, really like using Pale Moon.
I'm not a big fan of the Windows OS.
I was wondering if there might be a version of Pale Moon for Linux users to use. eg. Ubuntu
I'd be delighted if Pale Moon was available for Ubuntu.
Any chances of that happening?
Thanks! :)
Adding of what our leader Moonchild said, you can test Pale Moon using Wine, but please use the 3.6.x "flavor" because it gives better results and is more stable. :)

ComputerLuvr

Unread post by ComputerLuvr » 2012-07-09, 13:25

Thank You both for the very prompt responses.
There are a lot more users using Ubuntu these days. This OS is becoming very popular.
Windows OS IMHO is not a very stable OS. I do prefer Ubuntu.
I'll test Pale Moon using Wine.
Thanks for the information. :)
I've tried out a lot of browsers... a lot! ... Pale Moon is one of the best I've ever come across! :thumbup:
I know for now that Pale Moon is only available for Windows, but, someday who knows, might be available for all OS? :D
That would be wonderful to see!

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-07-09, 15:40

Dont troll. Windows is not unstable. Dont have any bluescreen under windows 7.

You can ask your big ubuntu community for building palemoon for linux

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-09, 16:18

Windows OS IMHO is not a very stable OS.
you are of-course entitled to your opinion.
but the general consensus is that win7 is a very stable client OS.
I do prefer Ubuntu.
i did too, when i had a 5400RPM HDD.
when i got a SSD, i use Win7.

AFAIK, building FF on linux would be easier compared to windows.
and you can build with GCC4.7 , with -O2 and -Omgwtf compiler switches + your own personalized PGO. that should give a nice boost over the standard FF.

@Moonchild :
1.the version of FF that is shipped with ubuntu is x64+ some UI customization. Do they also optimise the build during compilation? (like PGO+ compiler options) or is it just a simple x64 build?

2. can you provide a tutorial on how to build FF on linux ? this shouldnt be interfering with your build methods on win....

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-10, 02:07

dark_moon wrote:Dont troll. Windows is not unstable. Dont have any bluescreen under windows 7.

You can ask your big ubuntu community for building palemoon for linux
You are allowed to comment about other people posts, *BUT* please do not start a war about "which OS" is better. Because every OS have their target people.

Also only Moonchild can build the app for Ubuntu as several parts of the code are protected for the EULA.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-10, 02:14

ComputerLuvr wrote:I know for now that Pale Moon is only available for Windows, but, someday who knows, might be available for all OS? :D
That would be wonderful to see!
There was a call for linux users few people answer the call so the binary was removed (http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=741&p=3785), if you can find more "Penguin fans" for fuel the demand of this version, maybe this can serve for a new kick-start of this version again. It was dropped for lack of usage and test as well few speed optimization against Windows.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-10, 09:33

lobocursor wrote:Also only Moonchild can build the app for Ubuntu as several parts of the code are protected for the EULA.
Actually, anyone can grab the source and build it for Linux on their own machine.
You can not, however, distribute these builds yourself. At least not under the name "Pale Moon" or using any Pale Moon specific logos or graphics ("official branding").
Not unless you clear the browser with me first and I add it as a contributed build to the official website.

I welcome Linux fanatics to try and make a stable, fast build of Pale Moon, and contribute the resulting binaries. I'll be more than happy to list and host the resulting binaries as contributed builds for other Linux users to use.

You should be able to make a proper build by grabbing the Pale Moon source code, grabbing the integrated status bar code from the same location, and building the binaries with gcc, then extracting the integrated status bar code to $OBJDIR$/dist/bin getting the /distribution/bundles directory under there to integrate this code in the browser post-build, before packaging. The source tree has everything in place to pick this code up and link relevant interfaces into the main browser xpt when packaging.

The result will be a zipped tarball that Linux users can use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Cactusneedle

Unread post by Cactusneedle » 2012-07-17, 19:29

Just noticed this discussion and as a dual boot Windows/Linux user I thought I'd chime in. No need to ever create a Linux version of PM 'cause the app Wine takes care of converting PM to Linux use. Presently use latest PM on Linux Gnome II MMXII (desktop) and lightweight Ubuntu-based Monomaxos 2011 (old HP Laptop) with great success. I also have it installed on 4 other Linux OS backups I keep around. As to speed, I have 5 browsers on my Linux of which PM is the fastest by a shade (they're all fast in Linux). Opening time used to be about 3 seconds -- since I changed from iGoogle to Protopage homepage, it takes 2 seconds and navigating is faster too since Protopage has my bookmarks inside it. On my Windows side, all much slower. I'm reminded it's time for me to send in my 3rd quarter contribution to PM in support of this great clean and mean browser. Thanks Moonchild and Gang.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2012-07-19, 17:35

I would think that majority of the linux users are not just looking for more speed from a different Firefox based browser but all that Pale Moon offers besides it.

Personally I would like to have the same freedom and future support from Pale Moon on my linux laptop as I know it will be developed as better "firefox fork" for me. It's kind of similar to what linux distros are for! ;)

ComputerLuvr

Unread post by ComputerLuvr » 2012-08-09, 12:44

jumba wrote:I would think that majority of the linux users are not just looking for more speed from a different Firefox based browser but all that Pale Moon offers besides it.

Personally I would like to have the same freedom and future support from Pale Moon on my linux laptop as I know it will be developed as better "firefox fork" for me. It's kind of similar to what linux distros are for! ;)
Me too! ;)

Tried out Pale Moon on my Asus eee PC which has Ubuntu on it using Wine. :thumbup:
Sweet! :D
THANK YOU to Moonchild for creating this wonderful, wonderful browser. :clap:
I LOVE IT :)