"container tab" like feature can be implemented? Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

"container tab" like feature can be implemented?

Unread post by badnick » 2017-07-27, 07:03

It is possible to implement a feature like this in PM? I think this is one of the very few really good things developed by Firefox in the last time.
On many sites that require an individual profile (Facebook, etc) it is very useful this kind of feature if you have more than one account and you want to login simultaneous with more than one of them in different tabs but the same window. Working simultaneos with only 2 different accounts it is possibly right now in a rougly way by opening on of them in a private window but is very annoying to switch always between windows instead to switch between 2 enclosed tabs . I tried with the "private tab" addon to open a second profile in same window/other tab but this addon don't work well on PM and both solutions is limited only for 2 accounts.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: "container tab" like feature can be implemented?

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-01-16, 07:57

I was also wondering about this. A friend asked me if Pale Moon has this container tab feature?
Would this be possible?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-16, 12:08

Separation like this is a feature that, although on the surface might seem simple, does not work in the way our platform is set up. This kind of contextual separation is not something that is going to be implemented in UXP, because the complexity and maintenance of it if it would be somehow implemented, let alone security impact, is far from outweighed by the added convenience it provides.

It's just not doable for us. Sorry.

Apparently there is an extension (Multifox) that started all this, and if someone fixes it so it works in Pale Moon/Basilisk, then this will be possible, but not in the core the way Mozilla has done it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-01-17, 06:56

I understand. Thanks for the message Moonchild
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2019-06-24, 14:35

@Moonchild last version of Multifox works fine in Basilisk, it works for most pages, but it fails with corporative services relaying in Microsoft cloud/authentication.
As per a message of developer (hultmann) web incompatibilities can be related to the use of indexedDB.
So I think a fork of v3.2.3https://github.com/hultmann/multifox/releases besides PM compatibility should consider the previous type of incompatibility.

For me Multi Containers is a must to have. Consequently sometimes I have to run the old Basilisk 2018 (which supports it).

Moonchild wrote:
2019-01-16, 12:08
Separation like this is a feature that, although on the surface might seem simple, does not work in the way our platform is set up. This kind of contextual separation is not something that is going to be implemented in UXP, because the complexity and maintenance of it if it would be somehow implemented, let alone security impact, is far from outweighed by the added convenience it provides.

It's just not doable for us. Sorry.

Apparently there is an extension (Multifox) that started all this, and if someone fixes it so it works in Pale Moon/Basilisk, then this will be possible, but not in the core the way Mozilla has done it.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2019-06-24, 23:36

dapgo wrote:
2019-06-24, 14:35
So I think a fork of v3.2.3https://github.com/hultmann/multifox/releases besides PM compatibility should consider the previous type of incompatibility.
It seems like you first need to find someone to fork it...

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...