Suggestions and feature requests for the Pale Moon browser

Moderator: satrow

beansandfranks
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Tab Hibernation and Frustration

Unread postby beansandfranks » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 18:17

Hi Folks,

I am a long-time user and fan of Pale Moon (I'm now at 28.1.0), and I very much appreciate the work of the Pale Moon team. A few suggestions below.

* Focus on the key competitive advantages of PM vs FFX 57+ and the various Chrome browsers --
Among these advantages as I see them are:
* Ability to run certain software (at user discretion and risk) such Silverlight, Flash, etc. Yes I know about these being discontinued.
* Certain very popular pre-FFX 57 add-ons/extensions such as: VideoDownloadHelper V 6.X (now balky, unwieldy in FFX 57+)
* Ability to run at a lower resource footprint than some of the browsers

* Improve the functioning of the PM plug-in container, which often fails me. Example: Silverlight runs better in IE than in PM. Yes, I know about MS fading Silverlight, etc.

* Borrow ideas from other browsers. Example: My fav Chrome-style browser is Vivaldi. By far. Vivialdi has a built in ability to hibernate open tabs thereby lowering the browser's resource footprint. This is a very key feature, IMO.

Look, I hope you guys are successful, but absent this sort of strategic realistic self-analysis and action, I fear that PM may be destined to fade in usage even when there is a real niche need for a quality alternative to Chrome and FFX browsers.

My best to all.

BF

Isengrim
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Tab Hibernation and Frustration

Unread postby Isengrim » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 18:31

beansandfranks wrote:Ability to run at a lower resource footprint than some of the browsers

This has never been a goal of the project, merely a side-effect of removing cruft and features deemed to be unnecessary, such as multi-process architecture and telemetry.

beansandfranks wrote:Vivialdi has a built in ability to hibernate open tabs thereby lowering the browser's resource footprint. This is a very key feature, IMO.

Extensions are the reason Pale Moon doesn't have (or need) as much built-in functionality as other browsers. :)
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
We are our choices.

beansandfranks
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread postby beansandfranks » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 04:21

Tab hibernation in Vivaldi is built into the browser; no extensions needed. Better than hibernation achieved via extension (as say in FFX).
Resource footprint -- That matters, actually, given the resource hogging of some browsers in extended usage sessions.

Look someone can always say naw, don't need this or get an extension, etc.
BUT the fact remains that the PM team needs to constantly assess the competitive landscape and focus on what it can deliver that fills a need not satisfied by another (or fewer) alternative browsers. Otherwise, it will fade in usage. Guaranteed. Book it. If so, that will be a sad day because it may have been preventable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 08:15

Extensions are the reason Pale Moon doesn't have (or need) as much built-in functionality as other browsers.

Extensibility is a key design goal of Pale Moon. The amount of built-in functionality is kept lower ON PURPOSE and limited to what in our opinion directly benefits the vast majority.
Tab unloading/suspension is not one of these things, and there is therefore an extension to do this. USE IT.

In fact, focusing on this extensibility inherently means the lower resource footprint -- the leaner and meaner the core is, the less it will use. the more additional functionality and complexity is built in, the heavier the browser will get. You can't have both.
Last edited by Moonchild on Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Return to “Suggestions/feature requests”