Private Browsing

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
stxxts

Private Browsing

Unread post by stxxts » 2017-11-21, 16:45

Finally ditched Firefox on day one of their awesome new rebuild, and found Pale Moon, hands down a better browser ... kudos to the devs' for a great build! I no longer have all the Firefox glitches that I had to deal with.

I do have one suggestion; when you are in a Private Browsing window, there is no way of telling that you are in private mode. Firefox puts the icon of the Mask in the upper right corner. Would it be possible to add something similar in Pale Moon?

I use both private and regular mode and would like to be able to identify them as such.

Thanks & great job!

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Private Browsing

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-22, 07:07

I don't use Private Browsing (PB), but I tested it just now. I'm on an older version of Pale Moon, so the results may not be applicable. The below image shows what happens immediately upon going into PB. However, after going to an actual web site, the only evidence of PB is the mask on the Pale Moon menu button in the top left-hand corner of the screen. Also, the color of the button has changed somewhat. Normally it's blue, but in PB it's somewhat purplish. Overall, it's pretty minimal and discreet, but it seems to be what you're asking for and apparently more-or-less what Firefox does.
Screenshot (23).png
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

stxxts

Unread post by stxxts » 2017-11-22, 15:02

van p wrote:I don't use Private Browsing (PB), but I tested it just now. I'm on an older version of Pale Moon, so the results may not be applicable. The below image shows what happens immediately upon going into PB. However, after going to an actual web site, the only evidence of PB is the mask on the Pale Moon menu button in the top left-hand corner of the screen. Also, the color of the button has changed somewhat. Normally it's blue, but in PB it's somewhat purplish. Overall, it's pretty minimal and discreet, but it seems to be what you're asking for and apparently more-or-less what Firefox does.
Screenshot (23).png
Thanks, I just tested it, but mine doesn't change it stays blue. I'm on Pale Moon 27.6.1 x64 on Win7 x64. I have no way of telling, that I can see, that I'm in private mode.

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-11-22, 15:47

You should see (Private Browsing) in the title bar (top center of the screen) on whichever page you're browsing. So the bar is: Title of Page - Pale Moon (Private Browsing).

Current version x64 Linux.

stxxts

Unread post by stxxts » 2017-11-22, 16:03

themew wrote:You should see (Private Browsing) in the title bar (top center of the screen) on whichever page you're browsing. So the bar is: Title of Page - Pale Moon (Private Browsing).

Current version x64 Linux.

I don't see that, it just says: Title of Page - Pale Moon

Perhaps this is a bugfix instead? I know I'm in private mode, there is no history. Here is a screen shot of a private window:
pmshot.jpg

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-22, 16:24

Do you have "always use private browsing mode" turned on, under Options > Privacy > History? Opening a new window (private or otherwise) with that option checked does not change the color or style of the button in the title bar, and your homepage is shown instead of the Private Browsing screen.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-22, 16:31

stxxts wrote:

I don't see that, it just says: Title of Page - Pale Moon

Perhaps this is a bugfix instead? I know I'm in private mode, there is no history. Here is a screen shot of a private window
I get the exact same result as you do with private mode using your screen shot of Google. The mask does not show up even though it is in private mode. I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (27.6.1).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

stxxts

Unread post by stxxts » 2017-11-22, 16:38

Isengrim wrote:Do you have "always use private browsing mode" turned on, under Options > Privacy > History? Opening a new window (private or otherwise) with that option checked does not change the color or style of the button in the title bar, and your homepage is shown instead of the Private Browsing screen.
You got it! I had it set to "never remember history". I changed it to custom to test it and now I can tell that it's in Private Browsing mode. Thanks for all your help!
pmshot2.jpg