"Restart normally" in the Help menu ?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

"Restart normally" in the Help menu ?

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-23, 01:23

I notice in the Troubleshooting Information page now, there is a button to "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" along with a button to "Restart normally".

Since "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" is already an entry under the Help menu, I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to put "Restart normally" in the Help menu as well?

(I realize there are a half-dozen extensions that add "Restart" to the menu and a restart button to the toolbar, but when you are diagnosing problems and have add-ons disabled, those are useless.)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: "Restart normally" in the Help menu ?

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-08-31, 05:52

+1, it'd be helpful to have Restart in the main menu without installing an extension.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-08-31, 06:46

Yeah, totally agree! However, I brought this up a year or two ago, and it was a no go. Possibly, I was a little to pushy.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9630#p65577. Also, you could always try this cool little configuration trick: browser.showQuitWarning. This shows a quit dialog on browser exit, giving you the option to save and quit your currently open tabs.

NOTE: The dialog is only displayed if you have configured Firefox to display the home page or a blank page (AppMenu/Tools--> Options--> General). If you have configured it to display tabs and windows of the last session, it won't be displayed.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-08-31, 06:59

LimboSlam wrote:YAlso, you could always try this cool little configuration trick: browser.showQuitWarning. This shows a quit dialog on browser exit, giving you the option to save and quit your currently open tabs.
Seems a bit excessive, the Shift+F2 method is cool though. Still, since the function is in about:support I see no harm in adding it in the main menu, too. I restart fairly often, especially during the initial setup of a clean profile - other situations, too.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-08-31, 08:17

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-31, 12:10

LimboSlam wrote:Also, you could always try this cool little configuration trick: browser.showQuitWarning. This shows a quit dialog on browser exit, giving you the option to save and quit your currently open tabs.
That is cool. This is enabled by default in SeaMonkey. There is also a similar dialog in SeaMonkey when you select Restart (which is a menu entry under File). The extension Restart Manager presents this dialog when installed in Pale Moon. But this really should be a native feature.
GMforker wrote:See Issue #1322.
Addtional feature request:
When browser.showQuitWarning is set to true, File->Restart should show this dialog:
(This is already the case in SeaMonkey, for example.)

Likewise, appropriate keyboard shortcut would be Ctrl+Alt+R, like so:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀