Instead of "doesn't know how to open this address" just assume search?

Suggestions and feature requests for the Pale Moon browser

Moderators: Indalecio, satrow

Khatharr
New to the forum
New to the forum

Instead of "doesn't know how to open this address" just assume search?

Postby Khatharr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:56 pm

I commonly paste search terms (usually straight from code) into the address bar, which almost always worked as expected in FF, but in Pale Moon it's about 50/50 that I get a "I don't know how to open this address" page instead of a search. What do you think about just searching by default in those cases, or maybe just broadening the categories of things that will be searched rather than rejected?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Instead of "doesn't know how to open this address" just assume search?

Postby Moonchild » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:08 am

This is why we have a search bar. :) Paste in your search bar if you want to search!
Searching from the address bar on single terms may or may not work, since the browser has to guess from ambiguous input if what you paste is a domain name or search term if there aren't any other indicators. If there's multiple words, it's clear you "intended to search", but for single terms this becomes really ambiguous really quickly.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

Tomaso
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Tomaso » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 am

Moonchild wrote:This is why we have a search bar.

I agree.
Personally, I prefer the address bar to be as dumb as possible!

Avari
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby Avari » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:12 pm

hey Khatharr, i recommend the addon "Context Search X". You select your term and after a right click you can pick your search engine from the context menu. (addon-options: set your common searches (eg google) to show directly and the rare ones in a submenu). Thats faster then copy/paste your search term in a bar. I use this all the time.

another great thing for faster searches are custom keywords

example: if you create a bookmark:

"http://www.google.com/search?q=%s"

you can set a key (e.g. "g"). And in the future you can just write "g palemoon" in your addressbar to search for "palemoon" in google. With my keywords i can use e.g. "y" for youtube-Search or "w" if i want to search wikipedia. Really fast - i couldnt live with that anymore. You can do this for any available search, just replace your search term with "%s" and set a key.

Arch Linux + i3-wm; Windows 8.1
echo LANG=de_DE.UTF8 > /etc/locale.conf
echo KEYMAP=de-latin1-nodeadkeys > /etc/vconsole.conf
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime
vim /etc/locale.gen ## uncomment your language
locale-gen
"if something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak english" -Homer Simpson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:23 pm

As an aside, you don't need an extension to use context search; that's part of Pale Moon already -- you can search for the selected text in what is chosen as your current search engine to use.
Attachments
selectsearch.png
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Postby kosamja » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:24 am

Moonchild wrote:Searching from the address bar on single terms may or may not work, since the browser has to guess from ambiguous input if what you paste is a domain name or search term if there aren't any other indicators. If there's multiple words, it's clear you "intended to search", but for single terms this becomes really ambiguous really quickly.

It always works with Omnibar> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/omnibar/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:34 am

kosamja wrote:It always works with Omnibar>

All that does is offer omnibar suggestions for addresses and using search. That has nothing to do with actually entering a word in the address bar and launching that (enter/Go). It may avoid the issue of ambiguity but it will require active use of the drop-down instead of trying to open the single-term address (which is what the OP was talking about).

Return to “Suggestions/feature requests”