Suggestions and feature requests for the Pale Moon browser

Moderators: satrow, Indalecio

Campus
Moongazer
Moongazer

CSS Grid API support

Postby Campus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi,

the next big CSS thing is the CSS Grid API which is currently adopted by all big browsers. Do you plan or even hhave an ETA for CSS Grid support in Pale Moon? I think a lot of sites will switch to this layout over the next months.

Best

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: CSS Grid API support

Postby Moonchild » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 pm

So flexbox wasn't good enough eh? XD
Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

Campus
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby Campus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm

I know.... I assume the new grid layout is more like the old table-layout and is better suited creating nice layouts in a grid.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 pm

We already have CSS table layouts... Why is this suddenly needed? why would sites switch to it? It makes no sense. It wasn't important enough to implement in any browser for the past 6 years so there's no real reason why websites would suddenly want to swap to it.

is currently adopted by all big browsers.

If you discount Opera and Safari as "not big", maybe :P
Most of the keywords are only implemented by Chrome 57+ and FF 52+, according to MDN. IE and Edge use prefixed versions of some, not all, keywords... If websites don't want to cause web compat issues they will have to use more accessible ways of doing their layout than this completely atypical use of CSS.
It also redefines completely how CSS is normally used and parsed.

All in all it feels like "let's take this thing and make it the next new thing to advocate" instead of using existing technology that is still being implemented. Change for the sake of change still hasn't left us, apparently.

As for a timeline? None right now. I don't think our current team has room to plan this in.

Campus
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby Campus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm

I think the new Grid standard will replace the flexbox usage in a lot of areas. It's just finalized and a lot of guides are popping up and most browsers will support it with their next releases. Personally I like this new approach much more than the old css table layout as it avoids the div mess and allows more use cases.

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/01/css-grid
http://gridbyexample.com/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Guides always pop up when a new method is being pushed. There's money to be made with guides, after all. Doesn't mean it's logical to switch to.

Campus
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby Campus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 pm

I agree but that does not change the fact that all major browsers are going to support this and that the browser manufacturers worked together to create the standard and to avoid the confusion and problems that flexbox had initially. If the big 5 support this standard nicely and quick web developers will not care about PM and just use it from the beginning when developing new stuff. It would be great if PM could be a part in this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Campus wrote:I agree but that does not change the fact that all major browsers are going to support this and that the browser manufacturers worked together to create the standard and to avoid the confusion and problems that flexbox had initially. If the big 5 support this standard nicely and quick web developers will not care about PM and just use it from the beginning when developing new stuff. It would be great if PM could be a part in this.

I'm sorry but even that doesn't make any sense. Flexbox was implemented way after CSS grid drafts and specs were drawn up; nobody implemented flexboxes until css grid specifications already existed for several years-- if Grid was so much better than flexbox, flexbox should never have become a thing. No, this is something else altogether.
It's also not that browser manufacturers worked together on most of these things, but rather that browser parity was enforced by making implementations become a standard through influence, instead.

It would be great if we had a magic want to make implementations happen in no time, but that's not how programming works.
It would also be great if most of our current web standards weren't written by Google who have enough money to further their monoculture.
It would furthermore be great if people who have hammered on wanting to be able to use all these frameworks for the past 5 years would actually continue to do so, giving browser vendors a chance to actually at least have some semblance of a standard web platform, instead of jumping on the next "new" thing that is being toted as "the best ever" for the next 6 months.

If you think this is pivotal for Pale Moon to have, then by all means, help out -- rally people to our cause, have them look at CSS grid and offer patches to implement it.

Return to “Suggestions/feature requests”