Pale Moon 11 released!

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon 11 released!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-23, 13:03

Pale Moon 11.0 has just been released, and is now available from the Pale Moon home page.

Release notes for this version:

A new major release building on the Firefox 11.0 code base. This sees many, many bugfixes and a good number of performance improvements that would be too extensive to list in detail.

In summary
All versions:
  • Integration of the Status Bar functionality. You can now access the status bar configuration directly from the Tools or Options menu, and it is no longer a separate add-on[note]
  • Implementation of the SPDY protocol to improve load times on websites that support it.
  • Improvements to the rendering engine, and specific improvements to the hardware acceleration of font rendering and WebGL
  • Implementation of more advanced HTML5 (including IndexedDB improvements and support for more HTML5 elements) and CSS features (including CSS 3D transforms)
  • Add-on compatibility: add-ons now default to being compatible
  • Cosmetic updates to the Pale Moon icon and some included artwork
  • The (limited feature) web developer tools as added to Firefox 11.0 have mostly been disabled since they are not intended to be present in future builds of Pale Moon. Web developers are encouraged to make their own choices about which development tools they wish to use at the Mozilla Add-ons repository (Web development section)
Pale Moon Portable:
  • The automatic backup method has been simplified and the resulting backups will take (a lot) less space. Bookmarks and passwords are backed up, but history no longer gets backed up which saves many MB on your stick or other portable medium.
  • Additional compression further reduces space requirements for the 32-bit portable.

Note about the Status Bar add-on:

If you upgrade your browser using the installer, it is possible that the Pale Moon status bar add-on is still present after upgrading. This add-on should automatically be disabled when using default browser settings (at the latest next time the add-on blocklist is refreshed), but it is possible that it remains active. When using the internal updater, this should not be a problem as it only affects the installer.
Workaround: You should disable the add-on yourself in the add-on manager if this is the case, and/or delete the add-on manually from your Pale Moon installation folder (statusbar@palemoon.org.xpi in c:\program files\pale moon\extensions)
Workaround (alternative): Uninstall Pale Moon (keeping personalizations and data), remove any leftover files in the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Pale Moon) and install Pale Moon 11 again.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

clairedoy

Re: Pale Moon 11 released!

Unread post by clairedoy » 2012-03-23, 13:24

is it just me or is cleartype disabled in palemoon 11?

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2012-03-23, 14:37

Thanks for the major update!

As mentioned, is there a way to disable this built in thing addon or w/e, not the addon itself but this new built in thing? As I swap my main profile a lot to different builds, is the reason why I use status-4-eva and never used the palemoon addon and always removed it from the install folder.

Also, Some might notice their font changed. To fix this, I disabled all gfx.direct2d settings in about:config.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-23, 18:25

clairedoy wrote:is it just me or is cleartype disabled in palemoon 11?
No, it's not - but if you are having font rendering issues, you may want to disable DirectWrite which has been enabled by default in Pale Moon 11.

To do this:
  1. In the address bar, type about:config and press enter
  2. In the filter at the top, type "direct" - this will quickly filter the rather long list to find the parameter you need more quickly
  3. Find the parameter called gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled and double-click it to set it to "false"
  4. Completely close Pale Moon (File -> exit or Pale Moon button -> exit), and restart it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-23, 18:30

PCUser1111 wrote:As mentioned, is there a way to disable this built in thing addon or w/e, not the addon itself but this new built in thing? As I swap my main profile a lot to different builds, is the reason why I use status-4-eva and never used the palemoon addon and always removed it from the install folder.
You can no longer use Status-4-Evar with Pale Moon. Since it has been integrated in the core of the browser, you can't remove it and it would conflict with the old add-on and with Status-4-Evar. You will just have to keep your Firefox builds on a Firefox profile and your Pale Moon builds on a Pale Moon profile.

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-03-24, 08:56

Been giving it some benchmarking and it's seriously good, the fastest fox to date. It's everything I expected and more, great job.