Pale Moon website blackout on Jan 18th

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon website blackout on Jan 18th

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-17, 21:44

A heads up: the main page for http://www.palemoon.org will be blacked out on the 18th of Jan in protest against the proposed SOPA and PIPA legislations in the United States (and similar proposals world-wide) that are a violation of freedom of speech, freedom of publication, and that pave the way for arbitrary censorship of any and all content published on the Internet.

They are moving to have these legislations in effect in under 2 weeks, unless we can put a stop to them by raising enough voices.

More info about the proposed legislations: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/h ... ree-speech

The website FAQ and some troubleshooting pages will remain up, but the main pages will be down for a day.
The Pale Moon forum will remain available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Re: Pale Moon website blackout on Jan 18th

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-18, 06:36

I want you to clear this up for me.

One of the key reasons of SOPA is to try to stop piracy. So, despite the facts about the violation regarding freedoms, wouldn't protesting, by taking down the site, also be auto-labeled as a support for piracy? They would feel that protesting involves the whole of the pie rather than portions of it.

Alright, I am for anti-SOPA, we should have our rights, whatever rights are being contended.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon website blackout on Jan 18th

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-18, 07:21

megaman wrote: wouldn't protesting, by taking down the site, also be auto-labeled as a support for piracy?
No, it wouldn't.
Would supporting freedom of speech automatically mean that you agree with everything that is said? Of course not.
Would supporting freedom of religion automatically mean that you support the concept of a Holy War and killing in the name of God? Of course not.
Would supporting freedom to choose to donate your organs automatically mean you are personally going to? Of course not.
Would supporting gay marriage automatically say anything about your sexual orientation? Of course not.

Giving other people freedom doesn't necessarily mean you will agree with everything people do with that given freedom. Freedom can be used and it can be abused.
SOPA and PIPA don't address abuse of freedom, they seek to take away the freedom itself, or rather, make it easy for others to take away that freedom on a whim.

I think you'll get my drift ;)

EDIT: To clarify further with a specific example... these legislative bills could court order the shut down of the palemoon.org website, because (1) it's hosted in the USA and (2) it links to ge.tt, a file hosting service that could possibly be abused for piracy purposes (e.g. transfer of an MP3). Why? Because they state that I am not allowed to link to a site "where criminal activity occurs". This is possible because the bills are so ambiguous and don't address the actual problem they are supposedly for. Even if the site couldn't be shut down, they can still force removal of the site from search engines, force ISPs in the USA to block access to it, etc.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite