Pale Moon 9 released!

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon 9 released!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-09, 16:36

Today, Pale Moon 9 (9.0.1) has been released!

Apart from an update of the code base to Firefox 9.0.1, this release includes the following:
  • Under the hood changes and improvements to the way memory is handled by the Javascript engine.
  • WebGL has been changed to use ANGLE by default instead of using native OpenGL to give better performance on a number of systems that would otherwise suffer from high CPU usage and lower frame rates.
  • Change in compiler: from this point on, Visual Studio 2010 will be used for all "next gen" builds.
  • Build environment changed to cater to the ever-growing XUL dll size without having to compromize on what modules to optimize. (Prevent running into the 3GB address space limit)
  • DNS prefetching disabled by default to prevent router hangups
  • Changes to timings for UI script execution and content script execution to prevent unnecessary dialog popups about unresponsive scripts.
  • Some image decoding tweaks.
  • Eye candy: animated preferences dialog (resize when switching category).
Also, the first reviews have already been written, giving Pale Moon a clear lead this time over its sibling released by the Mozilla Corporation:
Softwarecrew wrote:When we tested both browsers at Dromaeo, for instance, Pale Moon 9.0.1 took a major lead in the important DOM tests, with a 37% advantage on DOM Attributes, and a 33% lead on the DOM Queries benchmark. It also scored well on the math and logic tests. And while the story elsewhere was more mixed, Dromaeo still gave Pale Moon 9.0.1 an overall performance lead of 9% over Firefox (that’s up from a 5.8% advantage when we tested version 8.0).

Surprisingly, SunSpider 0.9.1 delivered even better results, with improved string and date operations in particular helping Pale Moon to a 9.5% lead over Firefox (that’s up from 1.8% last time).
(Source: http://www.softwarecrew.com/2012/01/pale-moon-9-0-introduces-new-firefox-speedups/)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dallas7

Re: Pale Moon 9 released!

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-01-09, 18:24

Hello. I've been using PM8x64 on my Win7x64 laptop I bought a few months ago so I decided to switch to PM9x86 on my XP desktop when you released it (which happened today).

I've been in the Firefox universe since it was Phoenix 0.5. Since the "open all in tabs" feature was implemented I've been using that to open 17 tabs (news, comics, Web mail, etc.) every morning with my coffee to start my day.

About an hour ago I did that for the first time with Pale Moon and I can categorically state that it blows away Firefox. It's screaming fast. And that's with 15 extensions. So far, it would seem it is far more resource friendly by a quantum leap. By this time I would expect firefox.exe to be eating 100,000+ K where PM is hovering at 10-30,000 K. I'm still in the "How can this be?" mode. ;)

BTW, I run portables exclusively.

You should set up a donation link to Pay Pal.

Keep up the great work. Cheers!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-09, 23:27

Thanks for the feedback! Good to see the improvements confirmed :)
dallas7 wrote:You should set up a donation link to Pay Pal.
There is a PayPal donation button on the Pale Moon home page http://www.palemoon.org/
And also on the default start page http://start.palemoon.org/
So that's already covered :angel:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2012-01-12, 22:03

Thank you very much. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-13, 21:40

dallas7 wrote:I just sent you what some of use here in the USA refer to as "a little bit of scratch."
And very much appreciated, of course! Thank you for your support!