Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon 9.0 release plan

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-12-15, 20:45

Hey folks,

With the holidays upon us, an announcement for Pale Moon 9.0:

Pale Moon 9.0 will be released in January
Update: Release now planned in the 2nd week of Jan. on the 9th of January 2012.

Reasons:
  • Planned release date for Firefox 9 is December 20th - nice for them to wrap up before the holidays, but poorly timed for Pale Moon development to start on the release code.
  • The pushlog is still closed on release and has not been merged yet at the time of this announcement
  • Last minute ANGLE changes (bug #709369) in the Firefox 9 source (stability consideration, needs soaking on release) DONE
  • Additional Pale Moon specific changes to javascript to mitigate Mozilla's performance throttling (needs soaking) DONE
  • Brand new build environment (on a brand new workstation, thanks to everyone donating, a lot of hard work in my day job, and people helping with the ads! (don't stop clicking, folks ;) )) to work around address space limits (bug #709193) (works already but needs some tweaking) DONE
  • Holiday plans: Insufficient time to test the builds!
  • Added 2 Jan 2012: Restart from scratch, merge issue causing speed regression DONE
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Marcoevich

Re: Pale Moon 9.0 release plan

Unread post by Marcoevich » 2011-12-16, 12:29

Take it easy m8, you're doing a great job :mrgreen:

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2011-12-17, 06:33

All good, have been awaiting an update on this, thanks!
You could always do a pre-release RC build like with 8, that will tire us over until proper testing is done on full release 9 :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-12-17, 23:37

Ryrynz wrote:You could always do a pre-release RC build like with 8, that will tire us over until proper testing is done on full release 9 :)
Unfortunately it's not that easy to do that anymore these days, since I can't easily swap between beta and release code for Firefox with the way the rapid release mill works. Considering the tree has not been merged yet, there is no release code base yet for Firefox 9, so work on Pale Moon 9 can't yet start. You'll just have to be patient.

Enjoy the holiday with a stable version of Pale Moon 8 instead of getting frustrated with a rushed RC of pale Moon 9! :relaxed:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2011-12-18, 09:51

I think we can wait until January lol

Enjoy your holiday Moonchild and thanks for all the effort and time you put into the Pale Moon project :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-12-18, 15:09

rabnbeinn wrote:I think we can wait until January lol
You have no idea how impatient people get! They tend to want Pale Moon released the same day Mozilla puts Firefox binaries on their FTP (before official release) ;-)

I have to make these announcements to prevent a stream of impatient users going "Hey Firefox vx.x is out! Hey! Hey! When is Pale Moon x.x going to be released? Well? Welllll?!?!" :roll:

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2011-12-18, 16:30

Moonchild wrote: I have to make these announcements to prevent a stream of impatient users going "Hey Firefox vx.x is out! Hey! Hey! When is Pale Moon x.x going to be released? Well? Welllll?!?!" :roll:
Lol, tis how great-n-fast the browser is.

Thanks for the headsup on estimate release date.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-12-19, 04:23

As long as you keep on your toes, we will always look up to Pale Moon. :)
Full support. It's better to delay the browser than to have a buggy one. Life comes first, I always say, and this might apply to the holidays as well.

Aznronin

Unread post by Aznronin » 2011-12-20, 23:05

Moonchild wrote:
You have no idea how impatient people get! They tend to want Pale Moon released the same day Mozilla puts Firefox binaries on their FTP (before official release) ;-)

I have to make these announcements to prevent a stream of impatient users going "Hey Firefox vx.x is out! Hey! Hey! When is Pale Moon x.x going to be released? Well? Welllll?!?!" :roll:
This is exactly why I first checked palemoon's internal update and then the forum. I guess I can wait till January, 9 will be my switch back to 32bit PM. Thanks for the awesome work man!

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2011-12-21, 07:23

Moonchild wrote:

I think most of us maybe even all of us understand this is simply not just a recompile of existing code and requires some time after the final code has been released for testing.
It certainly doesn't hurt to post some news on our favorite browsers upcoming update though, it keeps us happy :)
Have a great holiday and thank you for your hard work, we all love this browser very much.

PikachuEXE

Unread post by PikachuEXE » 2011-12-21, 13:33

I think I wait for it
Since I also suspend my development on TabKit 2 (Exams & FYP attack)
Quality > Speed, but with a deadline lol

muggle

Unread post by muggle » 2012-01-01, 23:36

I agree with Ryrynz:

I am grateful for this notice..
Pale Moon is by far the only Windows’ friendly alternative browser available..

Believe me I shuttered with every new Firefox RC release. AND>>>…Knowing, that I would have to spend several months configuring and tweaking my preference.js. So that I could optimize my DSL connection and speeds using Firefox on my windows PC…

PS:
On my wish list…?...Make "MozBackup" [ mozbackup.jasnapaka.com ] ... recognize Pale Moon..

FEBE “is not” an alternative backup option….

Thank_U… Moon for this great Firefox (Build) browser…..

Pale Moon" is " Window's Firefox....

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-02, 00:46

An update then: A first RC has been released to the beta testing team but it suffers from performance issues, so is not release ready yet. A second RC is being built, if it performs better I may post it on the WIP page until the final version is done for the impatient souls out there, but no promises.

@muggle: Mozbackup works with pale Moon, you just have to treat it like a "portable" version, and point it to your Pale Moon profile folder on your system.

figeroaspanky

Unread post by figeroaspanky » 2012-01-05, 06:15

count me in, im also waiting, i use palemoon as my primary development browser in my work :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-05, 22:13

Decided against releasing a WIP because of a lot of final tweaks needed and a restart from scratch because of a failed Mercurial merge of the Pale Moon 8 tree with FF9 source code. Status in the OP has been updated; preliminary release time is now 2nd week of Jan.

bladerunner

Unread post by bladerunner » 2012-01-06, 09:06

Moonchild wrote:Decided against releasing a WIP because of a lot of final tweaks needed and a restart from scratch because of a failed Mercurial merge of the Pale Moon 8 tree with FF9 source code. Status in the OP has been updated; preliminary release time is now 2nd week of Jan.
First of all, Happy New Year (I know is a bit late, but I come back from holiday just now..) !!

Take your time, Moonchild . Your work is greatly appreciated from all of us, and we know it's an hard one...
Oh, just one question (at the moment I'm not sure..) : when I will make the upgrade to Pale Moon 9 the bookmarks will be saved ? I think there should be no problem ...am I right?

P.S. : About WindowBlinds and Pale Moon issue at the moment I quitted WB. I'm running "just" some very nice Win7 Visual Style and of course no problenm at all with Pale Moon; everything get skinned and everything works fine. Great!!

Thanks again for all the time, talent and efforts you put in this browser.

CelticMoon

Unread post by CelticMoon » 2012-01-07, 16:17

bladerunner wrote:Take your time, Moonchild . Your work is greatly appreciated from all of us, and we know it's an hard one...
I second this Moonchild and agree with a previous post that stated that Pale Moon is the premier Windows alternative browser. Nothing compares to the fluid integration experienced when using PM. :thumbup:
bladerunner wrote:Oh, just one question (at the moment I'm not sure..) : when I will make the upgrade to Pale Moon 9 the bookmarks will be saved ? I think there should be no problem ...am I right?
I can only speak from experience as I am not on the PM team but your profile will carry forward which includes Bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. It is a good idea to save a backup just in case, though. To make my point, I have been using the same profile (mainly bookmarks) for at least 10 years with no troubles from version to version. I would not worry about this. ;)
bladerunner wrote:Thanks again for all the time, talent and efforts you put in this browser.
I believe all PM users should agree with this statement. I have worked as a software tester and know the effort that goes into even the smallest patch. You are doing a fantastic job and hope you realize how much you are appreciated! :thumbup: