(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Firefox 8.0.1 is inconsequential

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-17, 14:50

OK, Here's the deal:
  1. Firefox fixes, well-counted, 2 things in the 8.0.1 release:
    1. Restore plugin caching to work around bad crash bug in latest Apple Java updates. bug #700835
    2. block Roboform <= ver 7.6.1 bug #699134
  2. As for a) above, that is of no consequence to Pale Moon. Wrong platform to worry about.
  3. As for b) above, that is of no consequence to Pale Moon, since:
    1. Roboform doesn't work with Pale Moon to begin with (because of this nasty DLL hooking they do, which is bad form)
    2. It involves Roboform versions that are not current (current version is 7.6.3). Update your software, folks.
Something positive to come out of this, possibly, would be the hope that the Roboform devs finally rethink the way their program interacts with others. Seriously, hooking DLLs is something you would only do as a last resort, and is at best a "dirty hack". One can hope, right? :)

Therefore: there will be no Pale Moon 8.0.1 release for this code base.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Firefox 8.0.1 is inconsequential

Unread post by Night Wing » 2011-11-19, 13:03

Good to know there isn't going to be a Pale Moon (8.0.1).

BTW, thanks for explaining what the new update for Firefox (8.0.1) entails. Since the new update deals with Roboform (which I don't use) and Apple Java updates and I have Firefox 8.0 as my backup browser, I see no need to update to FF (8.0.1) in lieu of the fact I'm running a Windows 7 computer. I'll update FF when it comes out with version 9.0 and then wait about 5-7 days to update to PM (9.0).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

bulletproof

Unread post by bulletproof » 2011-12-29, 03:18

1. Roboform doesn't work with Pale Moon to begin with (because of this nasty DLL hooking they do, which is bad form)
  2. It involves Roboform versions that are not current (current version is 7.6.3). Update your software, folks.
Not sure if I understood you correctly here. Are you saying that Roboform doesn't work with Palemoon except for the CURRENT version of Roboform or none?

Reason I ask is I'm looking for a good easy to use password manager that will work with Palemoon 8 and have hear a lot of good reviews on Roboform. Tried Keepass, but didn't work properly with the auto type feature on some of the websites where I use passwords.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-12-29, 08:18

bulletproof wrote: Not sure if I understood you correctly here. Are you saying that Roboform doesn't work with Palemoon except for the CURRENT version of Roboform or none?
Roboform is problematic, but some people have gotten it to work regardless.
What I am saying is that I don't intend to jump through a lot of hoops implementing a hack for software that, even if it was causing crashes and even if it worked, is not a current version. Regardless of point (1).
Reason I ask is I'm looking for a good easy to use password manager that will work with Palemoon 8 and have hear a lot of good reviews on Roboform. Tried Keepass, but didn't work properly with the auto type feature on some of the websites where I use passwords.
I don't really see what the problem would be with using Pale Moon's built-in password manager:
  1. It auto-fills form logins (user/pass)
  2. It allows you to dynamically store new passwords
  3. It encrypts your passwords when you set a master password (and I say you should always do this when you store passwords. Always)
  4. It provides password management (search/removal), including viewing of your passwords if you need it
  5. It allows you to sync your passwords across different computers with Firefox Sync (fully encrypted) - can Roboform do that, anyway?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-12-29, 16:35

Best Method is the built-in Fox Sync.
If you are like me with multiple browsers, LastPass is enough.
Besides, I heard that RoboForm's free version doesn't allow more than 100 passwords?

On Last Pass, I have over 150 sites and I am still on the free version, no nagging or anything.

bulletproof

Unread post by bulletproof » 2011-12-31, 01:05

megaman wrote:Best Method is the built-in Fox Sync.
If you are like me with multiple browsers, LastPass is enough.
Besides, I heard that RoboForm's free version doesn't allow more than 100 passwords?

On Last Pass, I have over 150 sites and I am still on the free version, no nagging or anything.
With Last pass all of your passwords are stored on their servers. I heard they had a breach a while back, but nobody knows for sure if any customers passwords were compromised or not??

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-12-31, 15:01

I don't know how Lastpass stores it if synched, but I can say this about Pale Moon and Firefox sync:
  1. Using a master password, passwords are stored encrypted locally. If you don't have the master password, you can't recover the passwords in any reasonable amount of computing time.
  2. Firefox sync is based on Weave - the service only stores encrypted blobs that cannot be recovered unless the password and key is known. Even if the Firefox sync (or any other weave server you use) is compromised, the data downloaded will be useless since it's properly encrypted. It doesn't store any keys on the server, just the encrypted data blobs.