School's Out for Summer (outages notice)

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

School's Out for Summer (outages notice)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-04, 12:41

Hello good people!

This announcement is to inform everyone about planned but not "planned" outages the next 2 months. With that I mean that we'll have services go down for unspecified amounts of time on unspecified dates and times. So in short: don't be surprised if you can't reach some services for a (hopefully short) while, when hardware and servers are being reorganised, and there not being an announcement about it as is usually done.

The primary reason for this is that in our ongoing global shortages and a lot of people being short on cash, donations to the project are steadily drying up (please do support us if you use Pale Moon, Basilisk or other applications based on UXP, and you are able. Every Dollar/Euro/etc. helps!) and this has a direct impact on how much money is available to be present in high-end data centres for various services (especially those that are just a resource drain that don't help the project, like our Sync server).
We'll be moving a few services to different hardware and shutting down a few expensive virtual private servers over the months of July and August. Moving data can take a long time and during that time the services will not be available.

I'll do my best to keep as much of everything online as much of the time as possible, but it's very likely at least the following services will be interrupted for some time:
  • Pale Moon Sync service
  • The forum
  • The source foundry (repo.palemoon.org)
Other services may be impacted too, depending.

Leaves me to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who continues to support us during the economic strain in the COVID pandemic. Stay vigilant and stay safe!

Moonchild.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite