"Save As" and "File Upload" crash

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
trparky

"Save As" and "File Upload" crash

Unread post by trparky » 2012-12-13, 17:33

Here is a screenshot of an error I'm getting whenever I try to do a "Save As" or "File Upload".
Attachments
Bad Error
Bad Error

dark_moon

Re: "Save As" and "File Upload" crash

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-12-13, 18:04

Do you test your RAM?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-13, 20:00

Did you check for malware?
the "dZfRRbrR" reference there looks like a randomly generated filename, typically used by malware - your .exe files may have a malware file association.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trparky

Unread post by trparky » 2012-12-13, 20:25

Everything else on the computer runs fine. System is clean of viruses and other nasties, scanned with multiple scanners.

trparky

Unread post by trparky » 2012-12-13, 20:27

I installed Palemoon 32-bit and the crash doesn't happen, only 64-bit has this crash.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-13, 20:33

I really don't have enough information here to go on. You'll have to give some more details why opening a standard file dialog apparently causes a crash (because that is the point where you get the error, apparently).

Please post:
- Operating system and version/service pack
- Output of Help -> Troubleshooting information (please use the [ hide ] tag)
- System software in use like skinners, antivirus, firewall, etc.
- Any other information that might be relevant to file handling or standard file dialogs that is non-standard for Windows
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-12-14, 13:01

The 32 bit Palemoon is NOT capable of being infected by a virus located in the 64 bit world of system32.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-15, 01:26

If it's a 64-bit piece of malware, scanners may also have trouble finding it if they aren't 64-bit themselves.

trparky

Unread post by trparky » 2012-12-15, 04:28

It seems to be caused by an Antivirus browser plugin. I disabled it and now it doesn't crash.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-15, 09:31

Thanks for the followup - can you let us know which AV browser plugin this was, specifically, including version number etc. so i can investigate and - if needed- block it?

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-12-15, 11:14

Moonchild wrote:If it's a 64-bit piece of malware, scanners may also have trouble finding it if they aren't 64-bit themselves.
I wrongly failed to mention that because I thought that nobody would have 64 bit Windows "protected" by a mere 32 bit A.V. product.
I had not thought about a 32 bit browser with a 32 bit security plugin, as is the case in this situation.

trparky

Unread post by trparky » 2012-12-15, 15:13

The Identity & Privacy plugin included in Webroot antivirus.