Adobe Acrobat plugin not working

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Col Zero

Adobe Acrobat plugin not working

Unread post by Col Zero » 2012-12-06, 21:45

I'm currently logged into my college's portal account and I'm using Blackboard. While in Blackboard I'm trying to pull up a syllabus that my teacher posted and its a PDF file and Palemoon says that a plugin is missing and is needed to display the content. So I click install plugin and click next and it says I need to manually install the plugin. So I install Adobe Acrobat Reader and it still doesn't work. So I tried installing acrobat a second time and it says its already running on my computer... anyone know why?

P.S. I just restored this laptop to its factory setting and reinstalled everything if that's helpful at all

Ruffrider

Re: Adobe Acrobat plugin not working

Unread post by Ruffrider » 2012-12-07, 18:59

Hi!

Did you go to Tools>Addons>and see if you have the BROWSER plugin,and if so did you update the Browser plugin? Or did you just install the Acrobat Reader on your computer? I know it sounds silly and I don't doubt what you have done. I'm just ruling out I think what your computer told you was telling you Adobe Reader was running on your computer and not necessarily IN your browser. Maybe Windows Task Manager can give you a clue as to what is running under the Processes Tab in Task Manager? If I am out of line,tell me so and one of the Moderators can delete my post.

Best Wishes!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-12-08, 03:40

I have acrobat 9.5.2 and it installs automatically the plugin. I don't recall if Adobe has a 64 bit version of the plug-in. That's one reason of why it says is missing, I use the 32 bit version of PM for this issue. Also you can install any PDF tool and tell palemoon that use it as viewer like Sumatra or PDFArchitect as example.

From Adobe support:
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/k ... pport.html
"Note: While most of the Adobe Creative Suite 5 software is natively 32 bit, these applications will run on 64-bit versions of Windows. The exceptions are: Adobe Premiere® Pro CS5 and After Effects® CS5, which are 64-bit only. For an in-depth overview of 64-bit computing and its value, see this blog from Scott Byer, Adobe Photoshop software architect."

tpcsanh

Unread post by tpcsanh » 2012-12-08, 12:59

I don't recall if Adobe has a 64 bit version of the plug-in.
As far as I know, they don't. But you can still open PDFs in Pale Moon 64-bit. Click on a PDF and a window appears asking what you would like to do. From there you can assign the PDF tool of choice to view PDFs.

Mixing and matching Acrobat / Reader versions (for example Acrobat Pro 7 and Reader 11) can sometimes cause problems. A very good resource on the subject:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/problems-installing-removing-acrobat-reader.html

Ruffrider

Unread post by Ruffrider » 2012-12-08, 21:45

Another alternative to Adobe is Foxit, which does what Adobe Reader does and a bunch more: A 5 Star Rating at Cnet:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2012-12-10, 07:33

Foxit is definitely superior. The only real reason IMO to keep Acrobat is some really old PDFs( commonly on government sites set up ages ago and not updated) only work with Acrobat. Other than that it generally is an uninstall candidate.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-12-10, 13:27

We all have views on which reader is preferable, I also use Foxit and although it doesn't show in the Plugins list on PM64 it opens PDFs without problems.