how do i obtain help in recompiling an x86 plugin as an x64?

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
jackhammer

how do i obtain help in recompiling an x86 plugin as an x64?

Unread post by jackhammer » 2012-12-05, 20:43

To anyone whom might be able to help me with this,please accept my thanks in advance:

first,let me start by saying that i really love the pale moon browsers,in both 32 bit and 64 bit editions.I have absolutely no complaints,whatsoever with the 32 bit build,except that it is just that...32 bits and cannot take advantage of 64 bit security or the advantages of 64 bit memory addressing.This is why i prefer to use the 64 bit version of pale moon,whenever possible.Unfortunately,I have found a limited,but important scenario where i must resort to the 32bit version for the time being.

I have installed a network of IP cameras with internet remote login at my mother's convenience store,and these cameras(and their complementary web user interface) rely upon ActiveX controls-which are not supposed to work outside of IE-for full functionality of the cameras when logging into them remotely.I have found,however that if i install and deploy both the IE tab firefox extension,and the Meadco's Neptune plugin together I can basically "spoof" firefox(and by extension,other gecko-based browsers such as pale moon) into enabling full ActiveX functionality,as apparently the browser then successfully imitates IE well enough for the desired result.

At least,it works quite well in 32 bit flavor of pale moon,but the 64 bit flavor tells me i need a plugin(apparently to replace the meadco's neptune which only works in 32bits) to successfully complete the emulation.

Can anyone out there,help me to re-compile the meadco's neptune 32 bit plugin,as a 64 bit plugin so i can install it and then view my cameras in 64 bit pale moon?These ActiveX controls that are enabled by this are extensive,and without it i am having to resort to "server push mode" login which basically strips me of almost all control options for my cameras.One example of this is that with activex enabled,i can view all my cameras on one tab,as opposed to one single camera on each independent tab.When you are monitoring something as important as someone's safety in a convenience store,such a "multi-device view" is an important advantage to have.It might even save a life,sometime.

Can anyone help me?I would be willing to contribute some reasonable fiscal remuneration for your time and talents,should anyone be agreeable and actually produce a finished product that actually works well.

Thanks again,
Jackhammer

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: how do i obtain help in recompiling an x86 plugin as an

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-06, 03:45

Vendor-supplied plugins are almost invariably commercial software/closed source. The only people who can compile a 64-bit plugin are the people having access to the source code and build tools to do so: the vendor.
You should run the 32-bit version of Pale Moon for this functionality if they do not provide a 64-bit plugin.
Pale Moon x64 home page wrote: (http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-x64.shtml)

Therefore, there are some very important things to note before you decide if you want to use an x64 build:
  1. You will need an x64 Windows Operating System! Just having a 64-bit processor is not enough, you will also have to have a 64-bit version of Windows (i.e. Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit).
  2. Many plugins are either not available or not officially released yet for 64-bit browsers. This will mostly hamper things like in-browser document viewers and media/gaming plugins. Most extensions (add-ons), however, do work, not to be confused with plugins.
  3. Adobe Flash, used on many pages, is only available on the 64-bit browser if you run Windows 7 or later! Their plugin does not support Windows Vista 64-bit.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jackhammer

Unread post by jackhammer » 2012-12-06, 16:19

I thank you for the perspective that you have offered,of course.However,this is where things get kinda strange,and perhaps you can clear up some of the confusion for me.
I ,of course have contacted the neptune people about obtaining a 64 bit version of the neptune plugin from them.They advised me(and rather rudely,i might add) that there is no 64 bit plugin for neptune and that they have absolutely no intention of producing one in the future-as they would have to give it away ,just as free as the original 32bit neptune plugin is supplied to the public and they vastly preferred to focus their resources on the development of more profitable,commercial ventures.

that is when i replied to them,that since neptune is free/open source-I asked them if they would mind providing the source code (and their blessing for me to find someone who could actually recompile it) and they got even more obtuse about it.They told me that just because something was free of charge,did not mean that it was "open source".

I was always under the impression(perhaps mistaken) that free software was,by default considered as "open source" software.Perhaps you could speak on this topic for me,and clear up my confusion?Neptune folks say it is free to download,use and deploy.....whatever that means.

Thanks again for your time to consider and reply.

Jackhammer

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-06, 20:18

Free-to-use software (freeware) and Open Source software are two completely different concepts.

Freeware is free to download and use, but doesn't necessarily have to be open source. Most freeware that isn't specifically labeled Open Source is not - and is Closed Source. Closed Source means that the developers do not have to disclose the source code to anyone, and will only distribute the programs in compiled (binary) form. Pale Moon utilities like the Web Installer, Migration tool and Backup tool are freeware, but not Open Source.

Open Source software is software released under a license where whomever distributes compiled versions of the software, will (must) also post the source code to that software, and allow others to make derivative works, recompiled versions, etc. and distribute those (being also obligated to post the source to their derivative works). Mind you, the portions created by the original developer of Open Source software are and remain their property and can also be used for closed source (commercial) software by that same developer. Source code contributed by others will be the contributor's property, and by definition may not be used by the original developer in closed source/non-free software unless they get permission from that contributor (depending a little on the specific license it was distributed under, though - some licenses make exceptions to this).

The neptune driver is clearly freeware, but not Open Source. They have no obligation to disclose the source code for the driver, and if they have no intention of creating a 64-bit plugin, then that is the end of the story - and you will have to use the 32-bit version of Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jackhammer

Unread post by jackhammer » 2012-12-07, 02:51

I just had a bit of an idea that might solve my dilemma for myself,as well as anyone else who might prefer to use 64 bit browsing under such circumstances,in the future.
Suppose that someone were to "create" their own plugin-one that inherently performed the same function as...in this instance,let's say as the neptune plugin-but with enough intentionally designed,software differences to preclude any form of copyright issues from the developers of the original plugin.

if they could successfully preclude any perception of copyright issues,then they could compile their own plugin(s) without so much as a "by your leave" to the creators of the original software,am i correct?Please understand,i'm certainly not talking about any form of "reverse compiling" or any such thing as ethically questionable as that....but i would think that perhaps a little study of the original software would be in order ,if one were to find things to "perfect" and thus create the differences used to defeat any claim of copyright violations.

assuming that i am correct in my theoretical assumption,(and the possibility certainly exists that i might not be) might you know of anyone with some serious software development skills who might be interested in taking on such a project?

Thanks again,for allowing me the temporary occupation of your time,knowledge and intellect.

Jackhammer

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-07, 08:34

Creating your own plugin from scratch performing the same functionality is certainly something you are allowed to do (barring patent issues connected to the method used), and you are certainly free to make it an alternative to the officially released plugin. (either open source or closed source)

I don't know of anyone who could help you in this respect. You'll most likely be able to hire a programmer for this kind of thing, though. You might even get a discount if it's made Open Source ;)

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-12-10, 21:25

Software writing hobbyists be here
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php
These links will give you a taste
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=71.0
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=31.0
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=38.0

You might get your needs met for free if someone considers it an interesting project.
Money could also be an inducement :shock: