First Basilisk version released!

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

First Basilisk version released!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 09:40

This is the first public version of the Basilisk web browser, building on the new platform in development: UXP (code-named Möbius).

What is Basilisk?

Basilisk is a free and Open Source XUL-based web browser, featuring the well-known Firefox-style interface and operation. It is based on the Goanna layout and rendering engine (a fork of Gecko) and builds on the Unified XUL Platform (UXP), which in turn is a fork of the Mozilla code base without Servo or Rust.

Basilisk as an application is primarily a vessel for development of the XUL platform it builds upon, and additionally a potential replacement for Firefox to retain the use of Firefox Extensions.

Basilisk is development software. This means that it should be considered more or less "beta" at all times. That being said: of course we will do our best to provide an as stable and secure browser as possible with every official release of Basilisk.

Where do I find it?

You can find general information and downloads on the Basilisk website:
http://www.basilisk-browser.org/

What does this have to do with Pale Moon?

UXP will be the long-term future for Pale Moon. As such, we need something (an application) to develop this alongside our current browser platform and back-end. Eventually, Pale Moon will become a "UXP application", just like Basilisk is now. UXP applications retain full customization and freedom in application layout code, so the "look and feel" will not significantly change when Pale Moon is moved to the new platform (somewhere in 2018). Basilisk will allow us to develop and mature UXP so it'll be ready when we want to move over to it.

I have a question about the platform; where do I go?

Please use this forum's dedicated UXP board:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=62

I have a question about the browser application; where do I go?

Please use this forum's dedicated Basilisk board:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=61
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: First Basilisk version released!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-20, 20:50

As a follow-up to this announcement:

Thank you everyone who has taken an interest in trying out this first version of Basilisk. Obviously, there are a number of issues to iron out and we're working on improving the browser for the next update -- addressing the issues does take some time, so we ask for your patience, and some understanding that a brand new piece of software will be far from perfect when first being published.

Things will improve, I give you my word!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite