Silverlight not working....

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Alan Muller

Silverlight not working....

Unread post by Alan Muller » 2012-10-01, 20:03

OK, almost new user of Version: 15.1.1-x64 under Windows XP 64 bit SP2, Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790.

The only real problem I've had is not being able to view webcasts in Pale Moon as Silverlight doesn't seem to work with or be recognized by PM. That is, I have SL installed on the machine, Ver. 4.0.60531.0, but when I try to view a webcast I get an "install Silverlight" message and no webcast. I have no problem viewing the same webcasts in Internet Explorer Ver. 8.

Can anybody help<

Thanks,

am

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Silverlight not working....

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-01, 20:15

Silverlight for IE and Silverlight for other browsers are two different plugins (IE uses an ActiveX control, other browsers use a plugin .dll) Having one installed doesn't mean that the other is, as well.

I suggest you point Pale Moon at http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight ... fault.aspx and get the non-IE plugin.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-10-01, 20:21

Alan Muller wrote:The only real problem I've had is not being able to view webcasts in Pale Moon as Silverlight doesn't seem to work with or be recognized by PM.
Just to make sure that the problem is not the website or on your end only, please provide us with a site that you found to be the problem.

Alan Muller

Unread post by Alan Muller » 2012-10-01, 20:33

Moonchild:

When I download and try to install SL from the Microsoft site, I get a message that the operating system doesn't support the 64 bit version....it won't install. (Silverlight_x64.exe) Some poking around yielded the suggestion to use the 32 bit version I listed above, but that isn't recognized either by PM.

I'm confused about SL being specific to browsers. Does this mean I can and must install different versions on the machine at the same time? How do I do that?

Megaman: I tried several different sites with similar results. This is the one that focused me on the problem: http://stream2.video.state.mn.us/mnoet/ ... e41a83651d

Thanks all.....

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-10-01, 20:58

Alan Muller wrote:Megaman: I tried several different sites with similar results. This is the one that focused me on the problem: http://stream2.video.state.mn.us/mnoet/ ... e41a83651d

Thanks all.....
There's a video at the top-left that plays, nothing on the slide-show on the right, black screen. I'll try the 64-bit version and make an "Edit" post on the success/failure.
Using PM 15.2b2 32-bit

Edit: Same outcome on PM 15.1.1 X64.
Unless that slide-show is suppose to be black without anything, then nothing is wrong with the video.

Edit 2: It could be that you need SP3?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-01, 21:23

Silverlight x64 probably requires Windows Vista or 7.
Same with Flash x64 requiring Windows 7.
Windows XP x64 is simply not widely supported by third party vendors.

32-bit Silverlight that supports your O.S. won't work in a 64-bit browser, so the best solution for you if you need Flash or Silverlight is to install the 32-bit version of Pale Moon.

Megaman: XP x64 doesn't have a SP3, it has SP2 as most recent.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Alan Muller

Unread post by Alan Muller » 2012-10-01, 22:59

"32-bit Silverlight that supports your O.S. won't work in a 64-bit browser, so the best solution for you if you need Flash or Silverlight is to install the 32-bit version of Pale Moon."

OK, thanks. That's how it was seeming to me, but I wanted to make sure. Opera also has issues with Silverlight, apparently requiring a complicated manual install to work around. MS does do these things....

Support for 64 bit XP is pretty sketchy. Maybe I should have gone directly to 7.

I found Pale Moon while looking for a 64-bit browser, and a less bloated item than Firefox has come to seem to me. So far it's worked very well overall. Thanks.

Alan

liefde

Unread post by liefde » 2012-11-08, 08:43

Just so you know, here's the trick:

Download this version of Silverlight: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229321 (x64)
rename it to .zip
unpack the stuff, also unpack the .7z you have just unpacked.
And in most cases you will be able to just doubleclick the .msp file that was inside the 7zip file.
If not, you can also try to run the silverlight.msi from the unpacked exe.

This worked fine for me in Windows XP x64 and PaleMoon x64.

sharathnettar

Unread post by sharathnettar » 2012-12-03, 15:41

thanks a lot ' liefde'.. issue resolved................. :D