What if Pale Moon switched to UXP?

General discussion and chat (archived)
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

What if Pale Moon switched to UXP?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-24, 00:10

Moonchild wrote:
Pale Moon and Basilisk are two different applications. Even if Pale Moon switches to UXP in the future, they will still be two different applications.
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15984#p116272
If that happens, would that change Pale Moon over to the detestable Australis and remove legacy add-on support? I hope this was just an "off the cuff" comment.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: What if Pale Moon switched to UXP?

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-06-24, 01:06

Due to the way the Goanna platform works it means that several applications can use it as their backend while still maintaining their own frontend.

In this case (as has been mentioned many times previously..), Pale Moon and Basilisk would use the same platform underneath, but ultimately be different applications. For Pale Moon this would be similar to how v27 was produced.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-24, 02:59

Thanks for the clarification Lootyhoof. Yes I know it has been mentioned many times that they are two separate products (and I have never been unclear on that point), but I've never seen it discussed before about PM possibly switching over to UXP until the thread that I linked to. That threw me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-24, 08:30

helloimustbegoing wrote:Thanks for the clarification Lootyhoof. Yes I know it has been mentioned many times that they are two separate products (and I have never been unclear on that point), but I've never seen it discussed before about PM possibly switching over to UXP until the thread that I linked to. That threw me.
Please go back to the original first announcement about our future direction past 2017 and read carefully. It was mentioned back there already as a possibility.
The whole point of UXP isto provide the underpinnings for different applications with different UI. See also Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and Firefox being completely different but still using a Mozilla platform to build on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite