[Solved] Very bottom of program shows discolored bar

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
[2054]

[Solved] Very bottom of program shows discolored bar

Unread post by [2054] » 2012-11-05, 04:11

This occurred the first time I ran the program, before I even installed any add-ons. At the bottom of the screen, there's a 1-pixel tall strip that will show the color of whatever was last occupying that space. Example, if I drag a solid black-colored application over it, the area I dragged over will become black, and stay until I restart Pale Moon. In the attached image, the left-most area is grey because my left-positioned task bar comes out that far, but auto-hides, and the rest blue from my desktop.

This kind of problem isn't a big one, of course, but it's just annoying to look at. How/why could this be happening?

http://s14.postimage.org/is26boxy8/Pale ... Glitch.jpg
Last edited by [2054] on 2012-11-05, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Very bottom of program show discolored bar that "remembe

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-11-05, 08:57

Most likely, it's because the custom theme you use doesn't account for having the URL bar at the bottom in a custom toolbar, combined with how your graphics driver handles accelerated surfaces that are "undefined". You might want to check if this happens with the default theme as well. If so, you might want to check if this happens in Mozilla Firefox too, and if that's the case, you should file a bug at bugzilla.mozilla.org since there's some window metrics that need to be looked at in the underlying Firefox code in that case (which is best left to the people who know that code inside and out).
In the meantime, turning of hardware acceleration might get rid of the annoyance, but will obviously impact your performance a lot.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

[2054]

Re: Very bottom of program show discolored bar that "remembe

Unread post by [2054] » 2012-11-05, 19:57

It doesn't happen in Firefox, and happens with or without the theme. Like I said, it did it in the fresh installation, and before I moved those things to the Status Bar. How can I turn off hardware acceleration?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Very bottom of program shows discolored bar that "rememb

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-11-05, 23:22

To turn off hardware acceleration navigate to Tools>Options>Advanced>General Tab>Browsing section and untick "Use hardware acceleration when available" box then click OK to save and close Options menu. Restart the browser for the change to take effect. :)

Search finds several "1 pixel gap" bugs have been reported, eg: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=642851

[2054]

Re: Very bottom of program shows discolored bar that "rememb

Unread post by [2054] » 2012-11-06, 19:13

Hardware acceleration off didn't affect it, but, enabling the Menu Bar did, and I was just getting used to having it off.. Maybe I'll move my navigation items to it. I was going for an extremely minimalist, two toolbar setup (coupled with the auto-hiding taskbar) to give maximum viewing of webpages.

It seems plausible that the area is normally covered by the tip top of the taskbar, so any other position will leave it bare. However, if others are having the issue in Firefox, there has to be another factor, because it never did in FF for me. No, wait! I never had the Menu Bar in Firefox on.. Turning that on brings the 1 pixel strip.
If at all useful to developers, my computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Anyway, it's safe to say this is resolved for me. Thanks.

[2054]

Re: [Solved] Very bottom of program shows discolored bar

Unread post by [2054] » 2012-11-15, 16:58

The new update fixed it!