Disk Cache Dilema and some others.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dallas7

Disk Cache Dilema and some others.

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-10-31, 06:47

Pale Moon Portable 15.2.1-x64 in path C:\Portables\Palemoon64.
Win7hpSP1x64

Per http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml, I've made the following changes to Palemoon-Portable.ini:
browser.cache.disk.enable=true
nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache=false
FileDelete=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%\compreg.dat
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory="E:\Palemoon"

I understand that XUL and JavaScript writes to disk periodically but I don't see them in E:\Palemoon.
Do those get written elsewhere?

I'm also not seeing anything written there for the browser cache.
browser.cache... settings all seem to be correct for disk cache.
about:cache?device=disk reports that "The cache is disabled."
I even set browser.cache.memory.enable to false to no avail.
Where are things going wrong here?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0 ... directlink

Also: In poking around my system I'm seeing these...
A Palemoon-Portable folder in the user variable TEMP folder having, noticed so far, a log and a x-default file. For the serialized XUL/JS cache??
A Moonchild Productions folder containing a profileID.default folder in both
C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Local (having urlclassifier and startupcache data)
and
C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Roaming (having a richly populated profiles folder).
Should these be showing up?

Thank you :!:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Disk Cache Dilema and some others.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-31, 08:53

If the cache is listed as "disabled" then that would be the root cause for most of your problems. You have to make sure to write to an existing folder for the cache (i.e.: make sure to create E:\Palemoon before you start the browser) or it will be disabled and Pale Moon will use fallback locations for a number of things.

The richly populated profile folder should not be there if all you use is the portable version.
(and you have not made the mistake of trying to run palemoon.exe instead of palemoon-portable.exe).

If you have previously run the desktop version or run palemoon.exe, it will have used the system default locations and settings.
That would also explain the urlclassifier entry there, since safebrowsing is disabled in the portable so it never gets that file.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-31, 09:01

I've noticed it may be an issue in the .ini file actually. Try moving the cache location line to below the cache enable flag (i.e.: in the "global" preferences section)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-11-05, 20:01

I can assure you I did create E:\Palemoon before I went and modified the ini file and ran Pale Moon.

"If the cache is listed as 'disabled' then that would be the root cause for most of your problems." Actually, the problem is... it's disabled when all the settings are correctly configured for it to be enabled.

I run PM 64 Portable on my tower and laptop. They're set up exactly the same; if not for the hardware you couldn't tell them apart (desktop, installed apps, start menu, etc. etc. etc.).

I've always run palemoon-portable.exe. Considering palemoon.exe is two sub-directories down from the root, I cant conceive I ever opened that one even on purpose.

I built the tower three months ago and except for opening Internet Explorer for some needed global configuration, PM is the only browser I've run on it. PM is exclusive on the laptop (about a year old) except I did run Haller's Firefox portable and a Chrome portable for a while and since deleted/purged.

On both systems Moonchild Productions folders are created in C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Roaming & \Local. I can delete them and they're built again. Every time, all the time. Both paths are now entries in CCleaner's Include list.

In any event, I cannot get the disk cache to work on either system to save my life. Moving the location line as you suggested didn't resolve it. In fact, nothing appears in %MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%|\\ as well.

Neither of these is a deal breaker as PM is otherwise running superbly for me. (I can safely say I've had disk caching disabled on any Mozilla browser I've used for at least a decade.)

I'm just reporting my observations/confusion and wondering if maybe I'm using the wrong mouse pad or something.

I'm going to assume the Palemoon-Portable folder in the user variable TEMP folder having a log and a x-default file is a result of the serialized XUL/JS cache evoked by nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache=false.

Either way, I've concluded a return to the default ini is the better part of valor. No further discussion is necessary or expected.

Cheers!

Herman Strange

Unread post by Herman Strange » 2012-11-13, 17:32

Tagging on to this thread since it seems related. Per the documentation...

====
;(cache directory)
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%|\\"

to a directory of your choice, for example:

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory=c:\palemoon-cache
====

Does not work. However, this does work:

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory=c:\palemoon-cache|\\"

Second point ... for this particular setting at least "user.ini" does not appear to override the default setting in "palemoon-portable.ini"

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-11-13, 17:39

Hmm the second point isn't a bug.

It's the same like with prefs.js and user.js
The prefs.js override the user.js. This is by design from mozilla

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-11-13, 18:13

Oops -- I did update the page but forgot the suffix to that setting - thanks for pointing it out, I'll update the page.

The portable loader, when it finds a user.ini, doesn't even read the palemoon-portable.ini, so it should never pick up any settings from the palemoon-portable.ini if a user.ini is present.

greebo

Unread post by greebo » 2012-11-14, 07:29

dark_moon wrote:The prefs.js override the user.js.
i do not think so:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
Once an entry for a preference setting exists in the user.js file, any change you make to that setting in the options and preference dialogs or via about:config will be lost when you restart your Mozilla application because the user.js entry will override it.
When you launch your Mozilla application, valid preferences you've added to the user.js file are automatically copied to the prefs.js file
i think it's the other way around.