Java Help Please!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Greenboyb1

Java Help Please!

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-04-04, 22:02

How do I re-enable Java? The Browse is blocking it and I cannot unblock it.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Java Help Please!

Unread post by satrow » 2012-04-04, 22:40

The reason that Java is blocked for you is that it's an old, insecure version that is now being targetted for attacks. http://news.techworld.com/security/3349 ... x/?olo=rss Further info from Mozilla about it here.

Doesn't the latest version of Java work with the site(s) you want to use?

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-04-05, 02:06

I have the same issue, I really need to use an old Java version 1.4 for access a vital system in the University. And no they don't want to change it, to the point to distirbute the java 1.4 executable with the access to the system. Any never version of Java just don't work with that system, so my option may be *gasp* to use MISE for use the University website. :O

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-05, 10:45

It's what is called "soft-blocked". This means you still have the option to enable the plugin if you really need to.
Go to the add-on manager, plugins. You can enable it from there (it will be marked with yellow). A hard-blocked one would be marked with red and can't be enabled at all.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Greenboyb1

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-04-06, 15:48

Moonchild wrote:It's what is called "soft-blocked". This means you still have the option to enable the plugin if you really need to.
Go to the add-on manager, plugins. You can enable it from there (it will be marked with yellow). A hard-blocked one would be marked with red and can't be enabled at all.
It is not "soft-blocked" because it is colored RED. In other words there is no way to use an old version of Java. :(

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-04-06, 18:08

Let's begin again, shall we?

Older, insecure versions of Java are now blocked in many browsers. Even previously 'secure' operating systems, such as Mac OSX, have rushed out patched versions of Java in the last few days - there is a very serious risk using older versions - not theoretical - real, live exploits are out there and almost any site you visit could be loaded with one of them, there's no foolproof way of checking a site before a visit.

Have you tried updating your Java to the latest version and tested it on the site(s) you need Java for?

I think you'll find that your old and insecure version of Java was blocked because you allowed it to be; there should have been a window/popup asking you, or allowing you to disallow the block. I can't personally vouch for or check this though, as I no longer have any Java on my PC.

If you really need to leave your computer open to attack, here's the details from Mozilla (easy to find from my earlier links) to work around the block in Firefox:
Working around the blocklist

If you are unable to update Java and it's critical for you to continue using it, you can re-enable the blocked version.
Warning: This leaves you vulnerable to attacks. Simply browsing to a compromised website could result in your computer being exploited.
Enabling Java

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP), and then click Add-ons. The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Plugins panel.
Find the Java Platform or Java Runtime item and click Enable.

If there isn't an Enable option, you can fix it by doing the following:

Open your profile folder:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button, go over to the Help menu (on Windows XP, click on the Help menu) and select Troubleshooting Information. The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
Under the Application Basics section, click on Open Containing Folder. A window with your profile files will open.
Note: If you are unable to open or use Fire​fox, follow the instructions in Finding your profile without opening Firefox.

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (File menu in Windows XP) and then click Exit.
In the profile folder that you opened earlier, find blocklist.xml (this may be listed as a "XML document" called blocklist) and pluginreg.dat (this may be listed as a "DAT document" called pluginreg). Delete both these files.
Start Firefox
You will be presented with the Add-ons may be causing problems window with Java listed. Uncheck the Disable box and click Restart Later.

You should now be able to use the older, insecure version of Java.
To find your Pale Moon profile folder, enter about:support into the URL bar then click on the 'Open contaning folder' button.

I would normally suggest that you only allow Java when you need to, disabling it within Add-ons manager when you don't. I really don't know if that's still an easy option with a blocked plugin.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-06, 20:12

greenboyb1 wrote:It is not "soft-blocked" because it is colored RED. In other words there is no way to use an old version of Java. :(
It should be soft-blocked because the severity in the blocklist is set to "1", which is lower than the default extensions.blocklist.level in Pale Moon (which is 2)

The entry in the blocklist is:

Code: Select all

<pluginItem  blockID="p80">
            <match name="description" exp="[^\d\._](0(\.\d+(\.\d+([_\.]\d+)?)?)?)|(1\.(([0-5](\.\d+([_\.]\d+)?)?)|(6(\.0[_\.](0?\d|1\d|2\d|30))?)|(7(\.0([_\.][0-2])?)?)))([^\d\._]|$)" />      
<match name="filename" exp="(npjp2\.dll)|(IcedTeaPlugin\.so)|(libnpjp2\.so)" />
<versionRange  severity="1"></versionRange>
          </pluginItem>
The way severity in the blocklist works:
In Firefox 3.1 and higher a severity for the block may be specified on the versionRange element. This should be a value 0 to 3. If the value is equal or higher than a threshold set in the client (2 in Firefox 3.1) then the item will be blocked as normal. If the value is lower then the user will only be warned about the item and may choose to continue to use it. If no severity value exists then the maximum severity is used (3)

So, unless you have set extensions.blocklist.level to a non-standard value, it should only be at "warn" level and you should be able to unblock it.

If you continue having issues, follow Cymroly's workaround deleting the downloaded blocklist.xml and pluginreg.dat as outlined.

If somehow you still can't get it to work, there is a second workaround: find the blocklist.xml file in your Pale Moon profile folder, and remove the <pluginitem> entry indicated above.
ALSO, to prevent it from being updated after that, undoing your edit, you have to set extensions.blocklist.url to an empty string in about:config
Note that not updating the blocklist may cause security issues of its own down the road, so this is all at your own risk.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-06, 20:34

OK, to be sure I verified this with JRE 6 U 30 (a vulnerable version) in a sandbox VM running XP and Pale Moon 11.0.1.

It detected the plugin being blocked, presenting the following screen:
Blocking popup when the blocklist is refreshed and read.
Blocking popup when the blocklist is refreshed and read.
Unchecking the "disable" checkbox leaves the plugin enabled, and you can continue using it.

For the sake of testing, I let it restart and disable the plugin.

After disabling as suggested and restarting Pale Moon, the Add-on manager shows the entry in YELLOW, and allows enabling of the plugin:
Add-on manager with Java (soft!-) blocked.
Add-on manager with Java (soft!-) blocked.
The functionality in Pale Moon works as expected (on a new profile), so Cymroly's workaround, in effect resetting the recorded entries in the blocklist for Pale Moon, should certainly work. I gather this may pop up if you use a particularly old, and possibly Firefox-migrated, profile.

Greenboyb1

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-04-06, 23:13

Ok Thank You everybody. First when Cym said
cymroly wrote:Have you tried updating your Java to the latest version and tested it on the site(s) you need Java for? ... If you really need to leave your computer open to attack, here's the details from Mozilla (easy to find from my earlier links) to work around the block in Firefox:
I thank you for the links, however I am on a computer where I don't have an admin account (even though it is my PC) so I cannot update Java or access mozilla.com. And when Moonchild said
Moonchild wrote:So, unless you have set extensions.blocklist.level to a non-standard value, it should only be at "warn" level and you should be able to unblock it.
He was kinda right. I have not edited the blocklist however, even though I run 9.0.1 palemoon and v6.0.300.12 of java, the severity level was set to "2". Go figure. So I am back up and running. :D Thanks again for all the time you all spent on me. :clap:
BTW I have enough understanding of code that I could have changed the blocklist level and/or blocklist once I knew where it was.
No offense, just putting here for future reference.

P.S. I would like to see a new tab page made (like opera's), with the option to turn it off.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-04-07, 02:58

I'm sorry for bother you guys. Well, Pale Moon don't see java. Firefox says it see JAVA Deployment Toolkit versions 6.0.150.3 (??). Windows have Java 1.4.2_19. Really is a mess in my windows somewhere nothing bad with Pale Moon.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-04-07, 03:54

Okay, I got bored of this thing, so I did bite the silver bullet and killed my both installs of Pale Moon and Fire Fox and made a new install from zero. Even I removed folders and keys with Ccleaner.

What I found? Java 1.4.x is not longer supported for Mozilla since is too old. Fire fox don't see it, hence Pale Moon doesn't. I just upload a nice screenshot of the results in case that someone needs that old plugin for some critical (ie. a lame java control for upload final exam notes). If you don't see old Java plugins and the procedure showed by Moonchild doesn't work, then you have two options: Upgrade Java if you can... or use MISE. :crazy:
javamess.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-07, 07:55

Upgrade Java if you can... or use MISE. :crazy:
And perhaps Java 1.4 still works in pale Moon 3.6.x, too (I haven't tested it).
It would be an idea to use the portable Pale Moon 3.6.x, dropping in the Java plugin in its proper location:
{Pale Moon Portable folder}\Lib\Java\bin\new_plugin
Then you can use this installation for the specific purpose of using your Java 1.4 web app. I strongly suggest you run it sandboxed though, like in sandboxie, because java 1.4 is not safe at all. Using MSIE with an old Java RE is asking for a lot of trouble.

Bottom line is: your university needs to upgrade their java app to be compatible with current java versions.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-04-08, 03:13

Moonchild wrote:
Upgrade Java if you can... or use MISE. :crazy:
Bottom line is: your university needs to upgrade their java app to be compatible with current java versions.
I'll check with Pale Moon 3.x, Moonchild. And yes is a real cry here for that applet to change but the University have the common "we say so!" IT crowd and if you need help they send again that Java 1.4.2_19 install as a must. :crazy:

px eliezer

Unread post by px eliezer » 2012-04-22, 21:37

Pale Moon version: 11.0.1

Java Version: Latest available (Version 6 Update 31)

Unfortunately, Pale Moon will not recognize my Java at all even though it is the latest versions available.

Java will not appear in the list of plug-ins on Pale Moon. And that same Pale Moon page keeps telling me that my Java has been blocked for my own safety.

Also, when I go to the Java control panel ---> Browsers, and I click on Mozilla family, it never "sticks". When I go back, the box is [not] clicked once more.

This is not crucial for me, but I just want to report that even with Java 6:31 the same problem occurs! Thank you.

px eliezer

Unread post by px eliezer » 2012-04-23, 00:03

Relative to my post above, here is the strange thing:

I just installed SeaMonkey (another Mozilla Family browser) and the Java add-on works fine, and does [not] get disabled by the Mozilla safety check procedure !

Hope this helps in figuring out this strange issue. Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-23, 08:34

If you type about:plugins in your address bar and press enter, for a proper installation of the Java plugin, it should include the following entries:
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U31

File: npjp2.dll
Version: 6.0.310.5
Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_31 for Mozilla browsers

MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/x-java-applet Java Applet
application/x-java-bean JavaBeans
application/x-java-vm
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5
application/x-java-applet;version=1.6
application/x-java-bean;version=1.6
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_31
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.6.0_31

Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.310.5

File: npdeployJava1.dll
Version: 6.0.310.5
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy

MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/java-deployment-toolkit
Which is what I just pulled from my own 11.0.1 with Java 6U31 installed.
If it differs, it may be a good idea to uninstall the JRE completely and re-install it.

px eliezer

Unread post by px eliezer » 2012-04-24, 00:34

Yes, just now I uninstalled Java, then reinstalled it.

BTW, I have previously used JavaRa to make sure to remove all outdated versions of Java.

And it is the darndest thing!

Typing [about:plugins] into Pale Moon, Java still does not show up.

But typing [about:plugins] into SeaMonkey, Java shows up fine.

This is obviously a Firefox glitch.

I appreciate everyone's help, but at this point I need to get to other priorities. Thanks! :)