would love to see these add-ons optimized

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ellenelle

would love to see these add-ons optimized

Unread post by ellenelle » 2012-03-19, 15:15

IMO any browser that wants to be competitive these days should have a reliable form auto-fill feature and a reliable ad-blocker. Firefox has neither: I use a form-filling add-on called FireForm, but it is rather buggy and FF's ad blocker is notoriously buggy.

I don't know if it is within the scope of the PM developers to fix other people's add-ons, but I think it would be worthwhile to give these your attention.

Thanks,
Ellen

BTW guys, when I check "notify me when a reply is posted" on this board, I do not get notified. Why is that?

Pnume

Re: would love to see these add-ons optimized

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-03-19, 15:32

Fixing other people's add-ons would be too much work, I'd think.

I recommend using the ad-blocking add-on AdBlock Plus and the form-filling add-on/password manager LastPass.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-19, 18:29

Pale moon does remember things you have entered in forms. It may not "auto-fill" the fields, but if you either click the field or type part of the entry and it's present in history, it will suggest it. (You have to tell Pale Moon to remember search and form history, which is enabled by default in the options if you have "remember history" enabled, or have the relevant checkbox checked if the setting are set to "custom"). Completely automatic filling of fields when a page is loaded is something I'd personally be weary about, actually, as it can be abused to harvest/steal data.
Passwords can be remembered with the built-in password manager as well, and effectively so - I do suggest you safeguard your passwords with a master password in that case so the data is encrypted on your drive. You don't necessarily need a third party tool for either function.

AdBlock Plus is by far the best ad-blocker out there I've seen, and strongly recommended.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PeterDr

Unread post by PeterDr » 2012-04-15, 23:49

Pnume wrote:I recommend using .... the form-filling add-on/password manager LastPass.
I have used Roboform for years, and have too many logins and passwords for too many sites and services to change to a Browser-based password manager.

LastPass is an excellent program, but does not easily allow importation of data from other password managers. Roboform can be accessed in other browsers, like Firefox, either with a toolbar, or (my preferred system) by using the Right-click Menu on the log-in page of the site you want to access.

Is it possible to import Roboform from Firefox, or have Pale Moon? connect to Roboform?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-04-16, 02:24

PeterDr wrote:LastPass is an excellent program, but does not easily allow importation of data from other password managers. Roboform can be accessed in other browsers, like Firefox, either with a toolbar, or (my preferred system) by using the Right-click Menu on the log-in page of the site you want to access.

Is it possible to import Roboform from Firefox, or have Pale Moon? connect to Roboform?
There is an option for LP to send passwords to Firefox.
If Roboform can send the passwords to Firefox...then send to LP or use Firefox Sync to store them.

If there is an option to export the passwords from Roboform into a file, I believe .csv, LP will import it.

PeterDr

Unread post by PeterDr » 2012-04-16, 03:18

megaman wrote:There is an option for LP to send passwords to Firefox.
If Roboform can send the passwords to Firefox...then send to LP or use Firefox Sync to store them.

If there is an option to export the passwords from Roboform into a file, I believe .csv, LP will import it.
Thank you for the suggestions. However, they concern ways to use Last Pass, and I am using Roboform. No disrespect to LastPass, but I would prefer to continue to use Roboform.

There are some sites that I have to use for my work, which (for whatever reason, and however foolish it may seem) require the use of (horror) IE. My copy of Roboform is set up for those sites, plus the many dozens of others of all sorts which I use from time to time, and for which I use FireFox

So my question still remains: is there way to have Pale Moon function with Roboform? If so, then I will happily become a Pale Moon enthusiast. :)

Cheers,

Peter

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-16, 16:59

Roboform has always been a problem, and the Roboform developers simply refuse to provide support for Pale Moon. A few people have been able to get it to work in the past by using a "lite" version .XPI but no guarantees that that works or will continue to work. Roboform's refusal to support Pale Moon or to even provide support for getting it to work in Pale Moon has been a thorn in quite a few users' sides - especially with the growing popularity of this browser, and more and more third party tools including Pale Moon support, they may actually be looking at losing paying customers.

Most compatibility issues there are with add-ons are the result of one or more of the following:
  1. Assuming a default Firefox profile location (this will also prevent the add-on from working in Firefox if the profile is not stored in the default location)
  2. Assuming a default application path or requesting it from the Windows Registry under the name "Firefox"
  3. Hard-coding component names like "firefox.exe" into the add-on
  4. The add-on using components that are not present in Pale Moon, e.g. accessibility features
By far the most issues are because of 1, 2, and 3, which are easily fixed by the add-on developers if they would take the time and effort to do so.
And yes, making add-ons compatible with Pale Moon falls outside of the scope of Pale Moon development.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite