Looking for a new maintainer

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
access2godzilla

Looking for a new maintainer

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-21, 11:32

Due to personal reasons I will be no longer available for building Pale Moon for Linux. As unhappy as I am for not for not being able to continue for longer, I had to take this decision.

If anyone is interested in taking up the project then please contact me Moonchild via PM/email.

Here are some tips on how to compile Pale Moon. Isn't really that hard.
Last edited by access2godzilla on 2014-05-30, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Make this a normal post now that a maintainer has been found)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Looking for a new maintainer

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-21, 13:06

That was kind of unexpected...
Please keep me informed about any progress there, let the new maintainer contact me as well.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-21, 13:22

Yeah, unfortunately it is; I received the news that caused this decision very recently. I wasn't really willing to stop maintaining pm4linux, but something that pays the bills gets greater priority.

Or maybe you could take it up :) As far as I can see, only setting up the environment is the large task. Rest of the things should be easy, at least until PM upgrades from v24.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-21, 13:27

Well, let me know how you set up your build environment, then. Which distro, which version, what build packages, etc. I'm sure I can whip up a VM the same way to maintain it if needed and there is nobody else. I just won't be able to provide much support since my agenda is already full ;)

EDIT: I just now realized you already posted build instructions. That should work as a guide ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-05-21, 13:28

@a2g

Sorry to hear you can no longer maintain linux Pale Moon. Let me just say you did a wonderful job in creating Pale Moon for linux.

Best of luck to you.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ComputerLuvr

Unread post by ComputerLuvr » 2014-05-21, 15:27

@access2godzilla
Thank You for making Pale Moon available to us Linux users. :)
You did a GREAT JOB. :thumbup:

Heartfelt

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-05-21, 17:34

I am most appreciative of your work, A2G. I have been using PM on my Mint install for several weeks now.

Good luck in all things in your future!

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-05-21, 17:48

A2G,
Thanks for your work making PM available to Linux users. Your technical skills have amazed me and the loss of ongoing efforts will be sorely missed. Best of luck in whatever you do.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-05-22, 16:24

So sad news. :(

Whatever you do, best luck a2g! You've done a wonderful work! :thumbup:

Lodestar

Unread post by Lodestar » 2014-05-22, 18:44

@ A2G
Thanks a lot for making Pale Moon available to GNU/Linux users. Best of luck to you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-24, 07:19

Since we've had nothing but crickets in response to actually getting the question for a new maintainer (which is surprising considering it's actually fairly easy to build pale Moon from source on Linux) I've set up build environments for building x86 and x64 Linux builds the past 2 days to build new releases in the interim.

Preliminary testing on the actual build machines looks good, but my personal support for Linux will be extremely limited or nonexistent, and we really do need a new maintainer for this platform as I won't be able to keep doing this on top of my own existing workload.

Note that this doesn't necessarily have to be for free either. I'll be more than happy to provide a proportional split of what I get from donations and ads for Linux browser use to whomever maintains this if they wish it.

Lodestar

Unread post by Lodestar » 2014-05-24, 11:29

MC, thanks a lot for stepping up to help with this. I understand it's too much to do for one person. I am confident someone from the Linux community will pick this up, hopefully sooner than later.
The truth is that the PM4L project needs a bit of time to gain traction - i have only discovered it my self very recently. I remember looking around for a FF alternative some months back (end of 2013), and not discovering PM as one.
I started spreading the word since last week that i found PM4L, and switched to it as my main browser, i am sure it will pick up soon. Until then, i can only wish you strength, and help by donating.
Last edited by Lodestar on 2014-05-26, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Roranicus

Unread post by Roranicus » 2014-05-25, 17:08

I've linked this thread on the firefox subreddit. People there have a mostly positive opinion of palemoon and a lot of them are dissatisfied with the direction firefox is taking. I've talked to a few other linux users on that sub too, maybe someone can step it up.

http://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comment ... aintainer/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-25, 18:29

Lodestar wrote:The truth is that the PM4L project needs a bit of time to gain traction - i have only discovered it my self very recently.
Yes, the timing for this is unfortunate; PM4linux is still fairly new in the shape it is and not yet widely known in the Linux community.
Roranicus wrote:I've linked this thread on the firefox subreddit. People there have a mostly positive opinion of palemoon and a lot of them are dissatisfied with the direction firefox is taking. I've talked to a few other linux users on that sub too, maybe someone can step it up.
Thank you for your help in getting the word out!

Roranicus

Unread post by Roranicus » 2014-05-25, 21:25

Happy to help, I've posted it to /r/linux too. I've seen enough people talk about palemoon for linux on reddit, let's hope there's someone out there who's interested and has the technical know how. (moments like that I really wish I knew even a little bit about programming, haha)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2014-05-26, 03:26

Roranicus wrote:let's hope there's someone out there who's interested and has the technical know how. (moments like that I really wish I knew even a little bit about programming, haha)
Count me in as someone who is interested in stepping up, but is somewhat lacking in technical know how. As much as I would love to volunteer to maintain the Linux version of Pale Moon, I feel that I'd have a bit of a learning curve to climb before I'm proficient enough to do it justice.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

poo706

Unread post by poo706 » 2014-05-26, 15:37

I just found out about Pale Moon for Linux via Roranicus's Reddit post. I'd be willing to help if my level of expertise is what you're after. I'm well versed in Linux and build Android ROMs all the time in an Ubuntu VM on my work PC. If you just need someone to sync the source and build from time to time, I can do that. If you need someone to actually futz around with the source code and fix problems and such, I may not be much help.

[poo]

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-26, 16:28

poo706 wrote:I just found out about Pale Moon for Linux via Roranicus's Reddit post. I'd be willing to help if my level of expertise is what you're after. I'm well versed in Linux and build Android ROMs all the time in an Ubuntu VM on my work PC. If you just need someone to sync the source and build from time to time, I can do that. If you need someone to actually futz around with the source code and fix problems and such, I may not be much help.

[poo]
It's going to be more involved than just building - a good chunk will also be maintaining the installer, taking care of Sourceforge release engineering and the Wiki, advanced troubleshooting for Linux end-users and providing support to them (since my knowledge of Linux internals only goes so far). Building binaries from pulled code is important but not the biggest part of this task. Just so you know what it entails.

poo706

Unread post by poo706 » 2014-05-26, 16:41

Moonchild wrote:
poo706 wrote:I just found out about Pale Moon for Linux via Roranicus's Reddit post. I'd be willing to help if my level of expertise is what you're after. I'm well versed in Linux and build Android ROMs all the time in an Ubuntu VM on my work PC. If you just need someone to sync the source and build from time to time, I can do that. If you need someone to actually futz around with the source code and fix problems and such, I may not be much help.

[poo]
It's going to be more involved than just building - a good chunk will also be maintaining the installer, taking care of Sourceforge release engineering and the Wiki, advanced troubleshooting for Linux end-users and providing support to them (since my knowledge of Linux internals only goes so far). Building binaries from pulled code is important but not the biggest part of this task. Just so you know what it entails.
Keep me in your back pocket if no one else more qualified steps up to the plate. I can't imagine maintaining the installer is too big of deal, I'm willing to handle Sourceforge and the wiki, and I'm willing to provide basic support. However, I wouldn't say my Linux troubleshooting abilities are advanced.

[poo]

cyansmoker

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-05-27, 06:18

UPDATE

After a brief pm chat with access2godzilla, I setup a Centos6.5 VM; installed some necessary stuff; then successfully built and ran v24.5.0.

Future versions will be more work but hopefully not insanely so, therefore I am volunteering to maintain the package if moonchild is ok with that.

I would appreciate you guys downloading it and running it for a while as a portable app and let me know if you find that I broke anything.