Well, I like it, mostly

General discussion and chat (archived)
access2godzilla

Re: Well, I like it, mostly

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-12-04, 06:03

Night Wing wrote:
ninaholic wrote:I always keep a Pale Moon exe on a USB stick so I don't even need to use IE to install it. Hasta la vista baby! :D
I always keep the newest Pale Moon installer on my......."5" USB flash drives......just in case I would lose or termporarily misplace a flash drive. :) One can never be too careful. ;)
Also, if you don't have local copies of Pale Moon, and don't want to use IE, then open the command prompt and type:

Code: Select all

bitsadmin /transfer palemoondownload /download /priority normal http://storage.sity.nl/palemoon/palemoon-<version>.win32-installer.exe c:\palemoon-<version>.win32-installer.exe
It seems that IE is not even useful for downloading other browsers :)

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2013-12-04, 07:15

access2godzilla wrote:Also, if you don't have local copies of Pale Moon, and don't want to use IE, then open the command prompt and type:

bitsadmin /transfer palemoondownload /download /priority normal http://storage.sity.nl/palemoon/palemoon-<version>.win32-installer.exe c:\palemoon-<version>.win32-installer.exe
And seeing the above - who can claim that PM users are "technically average"?!
:)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-04, 08:30

opera1215b1748 wrote:And seeing the above - who can claim that PM users are "technically average"?!
:)
Don't measure a user base by a few geeks ;)

Seeing the below random quote from a very recent support request, can you say this person is "above technically average"? Because that is what I get too:
Where do I find a "help" page? I am NOT trying to deal with technical issues of the type discussed by programmers. I am trying to find answers to such basic questions as "How do I delete / clear my browsing history?" or "How do I mange / enable / disable add-ons?" Searching the web for such questions and answers does not seem to bring to a Pale Moon site.
Am I missing some basic understanding about Pale Moon?
So there's quite the range of different users, from people who just want a browser (most of them) to a small percentage with advanced knowledge of Windows tools and command-line options.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-12-04, 14:28

access2godzilla wrote:Also, if you don't have local copies of Pale Moon, and don't want to use IE, then open the command prompt and type:

It seems that IE is not even useful for downloading other browsers :)
I'm strictly a non technical user. I don't use the command prompt (line) because it makes me "uncomfortable" to use it which means if I screw up in the command line and input the wrong code for something, I don't have the technical knowledge to undo the damage I created. If I try using the command line (prompt) and screw things up, I have to go to my next door power user neighbor and get him to fix the damage I've done with CDL since he owns a computer shop and he uses the CDL a few times every week.

I don't mind going in "about:config" to change things in both Pale Moon and Firefox, but the command prompt (line) is a whole different animal for non technical users like myself. People like yourself are power users so you're comfortable using the command prompt (line).

This is why there are three types of computers users which I classify as Illiterate, Non Technical and Power Users and I'm a NT. I know my strengths and weaknesses.
opera1215b1748 wrote:Those who do use PM - are NOT "technical average" users.
You're looking at one. Of all the regular posters on this site who have a considerable amount of messages they've posted on the various forums over many different topics, I have the least amount of technical knowledge of anyone on here. If you check back and see I also run Linux Mint, I chose LM because it reminds me of Windows 7 and it basically works out of the box where I don't have to use the Terminal very much. The Terminal in LM also makes me uncomfortable. In fact, I've only used the Terminal in LM.........twice......and that covers a time span from December of 2012 till today which is one year.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ninaholic

Unread post by ninaholic » 2013-12-04, 18:43

@access2godzilla: When I typed in "bitsadmin" in the command prompt in XP, it said it wasn't a recognized command. According to this, it is not automatically installed by default. Apparently it has been deprecated and replaced by cmdlets in Powershell in Windows 7. I see that I have a C:\SUPPORT\TOOLS directory with SETUP.EXE though, so I guess running that would install it. :)

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-12-05, 04:15

If you are indeed downloading bitsadmin for XP, you might want to use wget, which is much simpler to use. Download it here, place it in C:\Windows and type on the command line:

busybox wget http://storage.sity.nl/palemoon/palemoon-<version>.win32-installer.exe
Last edited by access2godzilla on 2013-12-05, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-12-05, 04:37

Or if you have windows vista and above you can simple copy the exe path in your windows explorer which open the link your standard browser.
Just copy it in the path line.

Like this:

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-12-05, 05:19

But it opens up IE for the download, which ninaholic wants to avoid using. Hence comes the suggestion to use bitsadmin or wget.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-05, 11:50

If you're going to download anything to download the browser, might as well stick with the web installer ;)
Download URLs are likely going to change over time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-12-05, 12:21

Moonchild wrote:If you're going to download anything to download the browser, might as well stick with the web installer ;)
Download URLs are likely going to change over time.
Then, how does the web installer get to know from where it has to get the binaries?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-05, 12:33

access2godzilla wrote:Then, how does the web installer get to know from where it has to get the binaries?
It downloads a manifest file which contains version information, number of mirrors and mirror URLs.