Clear jumpListCache

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dallas7

Clear jumpListCache

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-02-07, 01:15

Please add "jumpListCache" to Settings for Clearing History, Menu > Tools > Clear Recent History... and Ctrl+Shift+Del?

Cheers!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Clear jumpListCache

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-07, 10:24

You may want to vote for the related Mozilla bug to get activity on it. It's been a bug that should have a fairly simple solution for the person who wrote the initial code for clearing history etc., it's just been snowed under. The more activity there is on a bug, the more likely a solution will be made ;)
The related bug is bug #724423 - jumpListCache folder containing favicons is not being cleared and storing multitudes of duplicate images
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-02-11, 21:22

Yes. I do know about that bug report and with 11 votes in the past year, it's not just snowed under. It's dead.

Which is why I posted up here in the hopes you might integrate the necessary clearing fix in Pale Moon.

I do have the path included in my CCleaner environment but I have to consciously run it at when-I-think-of-it intervals. I suppose I should just build a script or batch file and stuff it in Task Scheduler to run every ten minutes.

For anyone interested, here's a screenshot of the files in the folder which representing about ten minutes of my "1st thing in the morning" Web surfing. In other words, a history. :shock: The ones blacked-out... the globally recognized logo of one of the world's largest banks. As well, you can see what anti-virus apps I might be using and I could be expecting some packages.

Cheers.
JLcacheICOx.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-11, 21:39

Don't be silly - it's not dead; most bugs don't get many votes at all. And, with the recent activity on the bug it's actually been reclassified because of what causes it (widget code, not history code) which will make it more likely to be picked up.

I honestly know very little about how jumplists work, so I'm not likely to go dabble in that part of the Firefox code base to hack something together - I'd rather keep track of the bug and let the widget coders 9who wrote the jumplist routines) have a look at it, and implement a patch early when available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dudewithit

Unread post by dudewithit » 2013-02-12, 03:01

I have seen CRITICAL bugs being dormant for 1.5 years !
You'd think that they should maybe delay the next version for 2 release cycles to make a better product.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-12, 07:43

I've said it before and I say it again: the rabid release cycle prevents proper bug fixing in favor of implementation of new code. It certainly prevents rapid implementation of patches since everything has to "get in line" on the nightlies first, may be backed out again and forgotten, etc.

This is considered a privacy matter; as such it may be bumped if the right person sees it. It seems fairly simple to do on application shutdown, though.

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-02-12, 20:41

Well, OK. Wait and see, so it seems. Thanks for your input.

I forgot to mention in my Feb 11 post: While I no longer pay attention to the metrics, I did note a while ago that within 90 minutes of a cleanup and some really active Surfing during that time there were 368 of those ico files in that directory. That's one heckuva bug.

Also as an FYI, Piriform's CCleaner included jumpListCache wiping in November 2011; tho obviously not workable in PMx64 Portable.

Enough said.
Go ahead,
Close thread.
It's dead. ;)

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-02-13, 10:14

dallas7 wrote: Also as an FYI, Piriform's CCleaner included jumpListCache wiping in November 2011; tho obviously not workable in PMx64 Portable.
Why not ?
CCleaner works on PMx32 Installed and perhaps PMx64 Installed ( I have not tried but your comment implies the possibility )
and CCleaner last year incorporated the ability for the user to specify the path to Portable Browser Profiles.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-02-13, 14:57

alan9182 wrote:....and CCleaner last year incorporated the ability for the user to specify the path to Portable Browser Profiles.
As a recent "beginner user" of Pale Moon Portable versions and a long-term CCleaner fan I have been reading up on dallas7's "Privacy purge with CCleaner for PM portable" Tutorial: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1188 and following this thread....
dallas7 wrote:Also as an FYI, Piriform's CCleaner included jumpListCache wiping in November 2011; tho obviously not workable in PMx64 Portable.
As alan9182 asks above, I would also be grateful if you could expand on your FYI.... do you mean jumpListCache wiping can't work in x64 but can in x86?.... or alternatively that neither Portable version can be wiped? Apologies if it's a dumb question - Portable version is a new frontier for me! TIA :)

PS. Would voting/commenting on bug #724423 help - or would that be all too obvious and rather lacking in subtlety? :think:

dudewithit

Unread post by dudewithit » 2013-02-13, 16:09

moz devs are beyond subtlety now...

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-02-17, 18:15

alan9182 wrote:Why not ? CCleaner works on PMx32 Installed and perhaps PMx64 Installed ( I have not tried but your comment implies the possibility )
and CCleaner last year incorporated the ability for the user to specify the path to Portable Browser Profiles.
"Why not ?"
Heck, if I knew that I could get it to work.

"CCleaner works on PMx32 Installed and perhaps PMx64 Installed"
That's why I used the word... PORTABLE.

"CCleaner last year incorporated the ability for the user to specify the path"
That's why I previously posted up... I do have the path included in my CCleaner environment

:roll:

Granted I should have been more specific. "Not workable in PMx64 Portable," more accurately: After running CCleaner, the files are not cleared out from the PMx64 Portable jumpListCache folder. OK?
Last edited by dallas7 on 2013-02-17, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-02-17, 18:18

"Shut the front door!" as my old Uncle Bob used to say (bless his soul), look what I found out:

Open about:config and set this to false:
browser.taskbar.lists.enabled

:!: NO MORE jumpListCache .ico FILES :!:

Cheers.

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-02-17, 19:57

Actually I was pointing out your possible error when using the word OBVIOUSLY when you said
tho obviously not workable in PMx64 Portable
This implied that you had not bothered to test and might have been unaware that CCleaner as standard now :-
Works for Palemoon even though it uses Firefox as the application name ;
and that Portable versions are now cleaned without individually specifying the location of each item.

CCleaner document how to clean Portable browsers and I think I remember you only need to specify the path to the profile.

it is OBVIOUS to me (though I could be wrong),
that IF CCleaner is able to clean PMx64 Installed, it should also clean PMx64 Portable unless there was something very strangely unique about the configuration of this particular profile.

Any way, glad you sorted your JumpListCache.

Regards
Alan