Cannot Browse webpage on Orbitel Website

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ascii_elite

Cannot Browse webpage on Orbitel Website

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-11, 06:05

With Pale Moon 6.0.2 on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2, I have tried today and yesterday from multiple locations to browse to:

https://www.orbitel.com/index.php?option=com_login&task=miCuenta

I have not been able to browse to the page using Pale Moon 6.0.2, but am able to using Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 or Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 with SP2.

When I attempt to browse to the specified page, I receive the error illustrated in the attachment to this post.

How can the specified page be browsed using Pale Moon 6.0.2?
Attachments
Pale_Moon_Orbitel_Browse_error.gif

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cannot Browse webpage on Orbitel Website

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-11, 07:21

This is because of an outdated CA or root cert list (either on your system or in the browser)
  • Open a new tab, and type this into the address/URL:
    about:config
  • A table will appear showing various Firefox settings ("Preference Names") and their current values.
  • In the Filter box type: broswer.xul
  • There should now be a shorter list of settings, including one named browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert with a value of false.
  • Double-click browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert. The value will change to true.
  • Exit completely from Pale Moon (i.e. close all windows, or File -> Exit), and then restart it.
The next time you visit the secure site where there is a problem with its certificate, the certificate error page will show a button that allows the site to be added as an exception, and then you'll be able to proceed and view the site.

WARNING: If Pale Moon warns that there is a problem with a site's certificate, proceed only if:
  1. you are 100% certain that it's safe, or
  2. you accept the risks!
Hope this helps!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-12, 04:03

Moonchild wrote:This is because of an outdated CA or root cert list (either on your system or in the browser)
I do not believe that the problem is an outdated CA or root certificate list. The web page referenced in the initial post of this thread was tested using the system browser and the page displayed (this should rule out the system certificates/CA). Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 (same version that the version of Pale Moon I use seems to be based on) also successfully could browse to the page (this should rule out the Pale Moon browser certificates/CAs if it uses the same certificates/CAs as Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 and those certificates are properly installed).
Moonchild wrote:Double-click browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert. The value will change to true.
I tried setting rowser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert to true as you suggested; however, the problem persisted.

Both Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 and Pale Pale Moon 6.0.2 have browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert set to false by default.

Pale Moon 6.0.2 had app.update.cert.checkAttributes and app.update.cert.requireBuiltIn set to false (by default); I set the variables to true (the Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 default), individually, and tested the web page referenced in the initial post to this thread, but the problem persisted.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 12:46

I have tested the page in the current version of the browser (7.0.1) by going to the home page and then the login page which makes a secure connection and there is no issue whatsoever communicating with the server securely. You are therefore correct: it's not an outdated certificate list.
The problem still persisting with setting the value to "true" means that something else is going on entirely, and you may have to create a new profile to fix it.

First though, I suggest you try to fix your current profile by selecting "restart with add-ons disabled" from the Help menu, and in the startup dialog select "Reset toolbars and controls" and "reset preferences to default", then "Make changes and continue"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-12, 18:30

Moonchild wrote:First though, I suggest you try to fix your current profile by selecting "restart with add-ons disabled" from the Help menu, and in the startup dialog select "Reset toolbars and controls" and "reset preferences to default", then "Make changes and continue"
I tried this. There was no change in ability to display the desired page.
Moonchild wrote:you may have to create a new profile to fix it.
I deleted the entire "%USerProfile%\Application Data\Moonchild Productions" directory tree and relaunched Pale Moon by running "PALEMOON https://www.orbitel.com/index.php?optio ... k=miCuenta". The problem persisted.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 19:25

Please try upgrading your browser to the latest version. It is possible the DigiNotar problem that plagued 6.0 and the haphazard fix for it are the root cause for your problems. This has been handled more properly in 7 and the soon to be released version 8.

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-12, 21:04

Moonchild wrote:Please try upgrading your browser to the latest version. It is possible the DigiNotar problem that plagued 6.0 and the haphazard fix for it are the root cause for your problems. This has been handled more properly in 7 and the soon to be released version 8.
Did the DigNotar problem affect Pale Moon differently than Firefox?

I was running Pale Moon 7.01 before using Pale Moon 6.0.2. The problem described in this thread also applied to Pale Moon 7.0.1.

I again installed Pale Moon 7.0.1, after fully uninstalling and removing the Pale Moon data not purged by the uninstaller, and attempted to browse to the page where the problem was noticed. The problem persists and Orbitel page does not display in Pale Moon 7.0.1.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 21:22

I've verified the problem. this is related to a built-in CA certificate, as a result of a second diginotar-alike hack that has occurred recently. Mozilla has timed their release to synch up with re-issues, unfortunately Pale Moon takes a bit more time to be released.

This will be fixed in v8 to be released this coming Monday, and if you can't wait you can grab 7.0.2 (unreleased) from the Archived versions page which also has this fixed as it's based on a slightly later version of the source code.
(I didn't catch the reproducibility before since I used 7.0.2, myself, in my test setup)

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-12, 21:43

Moonchild wrote:I've verified the problem. this is related to a built-in CA certificate, as a result of a second diginotar-alike hack that has occurred recently. Mozilla has timed their release to synch up with re-issues, unfortunately Pale Moon takes a bit more time to be released.

This will be fixed in v8 to be released this coming Monday, and if you can't wait you can grab 7.0.2 (unreleased) from the Archived versions page which also has this fixed as it's based on a slightly later version of the source code.
(I didn't catch the reproducibility before since I used 7.0.2, myself, in my test setup)
I just installed and tested the Orbitel website page using Pale Moon 7.0.2 (unreleased).

The problem persists.
Attachments
Pale_Moon_7_0_2_(unreleased)_Orbitel_Login_Page.gif

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 21:48

7.0.2 calls up the page just fine for me.
orbitel1.jpg

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-12, 22:03

I think the problem may be Pale Moon itself; that, under certain conditions, Pale Moon might not load a page.

Perhaps this has something to do with a change in the FOrefox core.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 22:13

It has nothing to do with the code base, really - there's something wrong with the certificate chain for that particular website. It may even be a load balancer problem that sometimes you get served correct data and sometimes not.

please grab the certificate from the exported pem file I made from my version of Pale Moon that works.
you can import this in yours, and it should give you a warning with the option to add an exception as a fix until version 8 is released.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1466747/www.orbitel.com.pem

Import through tools -> options -> advanced -> tab encryption -> button View Certificates -> tab servers -> button "Import..."

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-11-12, 22:17

Just for the record, I am also able to go to that page without any issues.

There has to be something on his browser causing conflict. I thought it was the login entirely, but it requires a purchase to make an account, not something we would do directly.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 22:25

The secure login page over SSL gave the error for me as well in my test setups for v6 and v701, not v702 or v8 when I tried them.
so there's something odd going on, for sure.

I've re-exported the pem (same url) to include the entire chain, that should definitely work.

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-12, 22:29

Moonchild wrote:please grab the certificate from the exported pem file I made from my version of Pale Moon that works.
you can import this in yours, and it should give you a warning with the option to add an exception as a fix until version 8 is released.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1466747/www.orbitel.com.pem

Import through tools -> options -> advanced -> tab encryption -> button View Certificates -> tab servers -> button "Import..."
Thanks Moonchild.

The workaround was effective.
Last edited by ascii_elite on 2011-11-12, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-11-12, 22:31

Moonchild wrote:The secure login page over SSL gave the error for me as well in my test setups for v6 and v701, not v702 or v8 when I tried them.
so there's something odd going on, for sure.

I've re-exported the pem (same url) to include the entire chain, that should definitely work.
Okay understood, but I am still on 7.0.1(Stable release), so this truly is odd.

We'll wait for your input, ascii_elite.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 22:36

I would at least be very careful. A man-in-the-middle attack may cause the same issues we see here, in which case Pale Moon is doing its job warning about an invalid certificate.

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2011-11-12, 22:39

Moonchild wrote:I would at least be very careful. A man-in-the-middle attack may cause the same issues we see here, in which case Pale Moon is doing its job warning about an invalid certificate.
What I find odd is that Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 has no difficulty displaying the Orbitel login page.

Could this be an ISP issue (AT&T) specifically targeting Pale Moon traffic?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-11-12, 22:43

ascii_elite wrote:Could this be an ISP issue (AT&T) specifically targeting Pale Moon traffic?
I am not sure about that hypothesis but AT&T is my provider.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-12, 22:49

Specific targeting of Pale Moon traffic: I sincerely doubt that.
Although it's possible that the intermittent nature of the problems is caused by some caching on servers going on - I don't really have the tools or the time at the moment to investigate.

EDIT: Or Orbitel's servers are misconfigured in an attempt to only allow "known" versions, and it breaking on a known version with an additional identifier in the useragent... several possibilities.