Encrypted Web needs a new maintainer

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

squarefractal

Encrypted Web needs a new maintainer

Unread post by squarefractal » 2016-05-11, 08:10

I need to look after some issues in personal life and thus will no longer be able to maintain the Encrypted Web; the extension in thus in need of a new maintainer.

Notes for potential maintainers:

If you didn't already know, Encrypted Web is a fork of EFF's HTTPS Everywhere, which is an extension which automatically connects to HTTPS versions of websites that are known to make it available but do not do so by default. (This information is maintained as a set of built in rulesets). The source code is available here.

Development and maintenance of the extension isn't that hard; since most of the updates that the extension requires are mostly in form of ruleset changes, that can be pulled from upstream. There have been some changes to the codebase till this point but mostly to satisfy the structural requirements of newer Firefox versions (including a transition from sqlite databases to a JSON file format). However, potential maintainers should take note of the fact that since there are hundreds of commits occuring in the span of days, allocating some time on a regular basis would be required for maintaining the extension (primarily for analyzing what commit is of significance and what isn't).

More details about the source and how to build it are available in the Encrypted Web and the upstream (i.e. HTTPS Everywhere) repo.

squarefractal

Re: Encrypted Web needs a new maintainer

Unread post by squarefractal » 2016-05-27, 06:22

Since I entirely forgot to mention this in my first post: anyone willing to take up this project can contact me via private messages for the transfer of the repository.